Need ideas for bee club newsletter

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Mar 1, 2013.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I've been charged with compiling and writing parts of our club newsletter. Last month was my first edition and it got a total revamp with new graphics, layout and some informative short articles. I'm trying to keep it around 4-5 articles that are pertinent to totally new beeks and well as those that are on their second or third season. Beyond that I'm not sure a half page article is going to be of much use for beeks with years of experience. One of the things I want to have every edition is a DIY article of some sort that fits with the season. Last month I did a DIY on making candy boards with some recipes and there was an article on emergency winter feeding. I think those two articles were very well received, got lots of comments from more experienced members. I'm having trouble with a DIY topic for this month. The articles include choosing woodenware, deep vs medium, 8-frame vs 10-frame etc, another article on cleaning up a deadout, one on stimulative feeding with pollen patties and 1:1 syrup, I'm also thinking about an article on locating your hives and what to think about.

Any ideas on a DIY article? I want it to be simple to do with hand tools or basic power tools.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think you have this all well considered as far as audience is concerned. The article should be more focused on 'the newer beekeepers' and largely I have found that more experienced beekeeper are pretty well set in their ways so you will not get much traction from that crowd. I would think the primary function of this type of activity is to to keep the newer crowd engaged and informed of what they 'currently' need to be doing or preparing themselves for in regards to managing their own bees. Almost any seasonal to do list should provide you with plenty of topics although invariable these will begin repeating themselves on a yearly bases.

good luck with that news letter.....

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

How about plans for a frame jig? Pretty basic and yet useful rig that can be built for next to nothing.
    Another idea might be a simply designed crossword puzzle. Something with maybe a dozen words, consisting of bee-related answers that require some thought.

5. litefoot

litefoot New Member

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

You could do one on top bar hives out of recycled wood and ask Dave if you could use his picts and experience.

7. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Good ideas here. Took the swarm trap idea and ran with it. Going to add some material to make it a little longer since the "Locating your Apiary" article one of the state inspectors got a little verbose and I needed to add an extra page and now have more empty space to fill.