Need Opinions - What Are They Doing?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by dmatting, Jun 27, 2011.

1. dmatting

dmatting New Member

Hi all. Looking for some input on what my bees might be doing. This is my first hive and I am really not sure what they are doing here.

A little background so you have an understanding of the hive...

Instead of building the hive with 2 deep supers for the brood nest, I used 3 medium supers. I added the package of bees on April 10. Today is June 27. In that time I increased the hive from a single medium super to three medium supers. I added the last one on May 29, so the last super has been on for about a month. The hive appears to be very strong. Today I came home and saw this:
    [​IMG]

Are these guys swarming? This is not a majority of the total bees in the hive - not even close. I cracked the top open and looked inside real quick and the hive is full. Here are a few more pics.
    Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

This is the entrance - almost packed with bees there.
    [​IMG]

2. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

If it's hot and humid where you are right now - I would say it looks like bearding to me. That's when the bees sit out on the front porch to cool off in the afternoon. I have 10 hives and the heat and humidity is incredibly high here now and all of my hives are bearding out the front right now. My first year with bees, I thought it was a swarm when I first saw that as well.

Lots of luck to you & your bees - you picked a great forum to join - these guys on this forum are extremely helpful and I have learned a TON from them. :wave:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm 50 mile from you. When they get really strong, in August, they will look like this. It's a beautiful sight. It tells me they are strong and healthy.

PS. Welcome to the forum. Come see me sometime.

[​IMG]

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Too hot in the house, go sit on the porch!

That is just a few bees, wait another month and they will start looking like Iddees pic.

If you watch those bees in your pic they may seem to be just going back and forth, back and forth, that is called wash boarding.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I forgot to add.............Hello and welcome to the forum :hi:

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I don't know what time of year is swarm season in your neighborhood--but I would take the picture as a warning that your hive might be in the EARLY stages of potential swarm preparations. When the hive gets too crowded and hot early on, it's time when the bees start thinking of raising new queens and moving on. By cooling down the hive you can help prevent this eventuality. The easiest method of cooling a crowded hive is by sliding one or more of the supers back about 1 cm, enough to increase the air circulation and allow the bees additional entrance area. Make sure you don't go too far back--so that the bees don't have an entrance in the back too. When the risk of swarming is past, it's easy enough to slide the super forward and close the extra space. Just make sure that you don't give them too much area to guard--you don't want to encourage robbing either.

7. dmatting

dmatting New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone - much appreciated. It just kinda freaked me out a little.

So far I have thoroughly enjoyed the hobby!