Need serious help ASAP

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Newbkeeper23, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Newbkeeper23

Newbkeeper23 New Member

Hello guys i just joined today and my names Brandon. I live in a urban city thats almost dead in the work force and people are running out of money and have no jobs. Im going to start a garden on my acre of land in my backyard. I have everything planted in my down stairs growing area. Over 200 pepper, tomato, and eggplant plants i have. I'm going to donate all the food to our local 5 pantries. I will be growing your common veggies also. But i will not have the time to pollinate all of the flowers it would be hours and hours of work. And thats time i dont have. I was wondering if any of you guys could send some bees to our organization. Oh and by the way its called RockForward Farm Look it up on Facebook. So if any of you guys can just comment. Thanks- Brandon
    :roll:

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome Brandon! There are already bees somewhere in your neighborhood.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well you really just joined ten days ago but that is OK too.

If you are wanting bees to pollinate your garden, you might check out the area for a beekeeping club that is near you. Sometimes there are beekeepers that are looking for places to sit a couple pf hives.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Another idea which may be quite easy for you to do quickly-
    You can look into making a few simple nesting boxes for your local native solitary mason bees. There are some living nearby you, you can be sure of that. And they look for nesting sites to multiply- they will find your boxes if you make them suitable. They pollinate like mad and require less space, expense, and care than honeybees. They emerge around the time of fruit trees blooming, and actively nest and pollinate until mid to late summer. I can recommend the site crownbees.com for lots of good info. I keep both honeybees and native solitary bees, they are both fun and satisfying and both will pollinate your garden well.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Peppers, Tomatoes and Eggplants are all from the family Solanacae and are generally considered to be self polinating. That doesn't mean bees can't help and improve yields, but they do pretty well on their own. Cucumbers are a different story, but they weren't on your list.
    Remember to keep your garden "friendly" to bees: don't use any toxic sprays on the plants.:eek:ldtimer: