Need some advice

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by JosephCarboni, May 1, 2015.

1. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

I did my first cut out at a friends shed. I was able to make up four full frames of brood pollen an honey, then I filled the rest with new foundation. I have captured aprox ten pounds of bees. Should I put another 10 frame deep on top with new foundation now so they will have more room or wait till the six frames of new foundation is fill out? There were tons of bees wish I could have been able to save more comb.

2. Ray

Ray Member

IF you have 10 pounds of bees that's enough to start 3 hives. Too bad you don't have a couple more queens. Anyway, I'd definitely add another box. I would also feed them, to increase comb production.

3. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

Ok thanks I went back around 930 tonight to get any stragglers an found that the comb that I cut out was running up the wall an connected to a old TV the kind that had the ol cardboard back with holes in it well to my surprise the big TV was slap full also. I just finished up with a total of 1 an a half 5 gallon bucket of bees. This was the most exciting thing that I have done in a long time an the largest hive I've ever seen

4. JosephCarboni

JosephCarboni New Member

Do you think it to late to buy a few mated queens? I'm not sure I have the queen they were very gentle I had a suit on though. Sorry for rambling I am just excited