Need some creative trapout help

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Barry Tolson, May 27, 2013.

1. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but I'm a bit stumped on placing my catch box in this situation. Entrance is between 1st and second story. 1st story brick, 2nd story wood siding. The entrance is about 7 inches to the right of an inside corner...right where the roof of a bay window meets the wall. So...I have a wall on the left and a bay window protruding that makes an obstacle on the right. I have 10 frame medium boxes. The closest I can hang my box is almost a foot away. I made a gangplank from the box to the cone. After a couple of days, still no bees going to the box.
    I've not been able to hang my box from the wood siding to get it any closer. And I don't see a way to get it much closer by building a frame and supporting it from underneath.
    I'm feeling like just going each evening and sucking them up in my vac.
    The swarm has only been there since Wednesday night...watched it go in with the homeowner.
    This one has been a problem from the start...small space in which to work, unusual placement of the entrance hole...no frames of eggs/brood available from other colonies...and now unhappy bees.(took more stings than I normally take for this kind of project.)
    Any words of wisdom or suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With no brood for bait, they have no reason to go in the box. I would just leave the cone on and set a few boxes around and hope they choose one of them. They will be coming out within the next day or so and will go in a box or hang as a swarm some where. Just watch for them to exit and hope to catch them.

3. pturley

pturley New Member

Swarm lure, lemon grass oil, a used queen cage or drawn combs will be needed to draw them to the box. (not sure if just the drawn comb alone would be enough though). Short of this, they'll only go in as a last resort.

Do you have a beard of bees outside the cone or just a few. If just a few, you'll need to look around a bit as they likely have another entrance into the hive. This, or there is another hive nearby that IS drawing them to it (more likely they are getting back in). Find out where, then seal it up.

If you do get them lured in, once you have a small cluster, you can hang a caged queen in the box to anchor them in place and to head up your new colony.

4. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Thanks guys...much appreciated. Haven't done a trapout for a while. Was thinking I didn't need brood until later, Yikes. I should have known better. Eh...I may give it a few days or just start vacuuming the multitude that is outside the entrance and then combine them with my one colony that needs to be requeened soon.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Iddee is right, they have no reason to go into the empty hive.........."no bait".

You should be seeing a cluster of bees on the outside of the cone at this point and yes they will be pissy since they can't dump their load.

They should swarm out of the house since there is not any groceries coming in!

6. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

I don't know what I was thinking. In any case, I'm committed now and my goal is to get the bees out of the customers house.
    I went back to the removal site and found several holes that I had missed...got those plugged and as I went along the incoming bees were forced back to the entrance inside the cone. Lots of confusion and eventual clustering. As they clustered, I scooped them up in my hand and gently deposited them at the entrance of the catch box. After several handfuls being transferred, several bees were noticed at the entrance...fanning. I kept scooping and stayed observing until dusk and rain came. When I left there was a steady flow of bees walking the plank to the catch box.
    There was a steady flow of bees exiting the cone,as well. The cone was very full but moving steadily.
    I don't know if any of this is any indication of any sort of success. Time will tell.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If, by steady flow, you mean one after the other, they are foragers going out.

If you mean the cone was packed full and they were jammed in like a swarm, it was. The whole swarm is leaving and the cone and house should be empty by noon tomorrow.

8. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Iddee,
    The latter...cone was packed full. I had wondered about that possibility. If that happens, there will be no bees for me, but my customer will be extremely happy...I will be happy. Will keep you all posted.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good to hear that, sounds like they have taken the hint to vacate the premise!

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Why do you say no bees for you??

11. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

G3...if they swarm and take off by noon tomorrow...the bee's still in the house and those going in the box earlier this evening, as predicted by Iddee, that would leave no bees!

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I'm gonna bet bees in the box when you check on them tomorrow! :wink:

13. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Good luck. Hope you have some that stick around in the box.

14. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

LOL! Either possibility would be good by the customer...and by "me"! I told the customer it could be a few months before this is done. So...if it finished up in a few days, it would, overall, be a very good thing! Getting the bee's would be better...but I won't be unhappy about this job, if I don't get them. :)

15. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I live less than 10 minutes away from this trap out and may have some free time to help out. Barry, per our PM convo, I just may have something to help in the way of a queen. I have a nuc I started last week with a frame of eggs/brood/nurse bees that I combined with those bees from that lady's house where they were inside. I know you need a medium but if there are more than one queen cell, I will cut one out. I am working operation pull over tonight until 3-4 am so I might not be up too early in the morning hours.

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Atta boy Dave!!

17. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Thanks Dave. I won't be able to get over there until after 5pm tomorrow, anyway.
    ​Will PM you tomorrow.

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

To me it sounds like you forced a potential swarm into the act of swrming---and got the queen too in one of your hand-scoops. :thumbsup:

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I'm optimistic this morning. I'm going to guess you will have an empty house and a full box this afternoon.

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well Barry don't keep us waiting all night long!!