Need some help doing a Presentation

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Medic1259, May 11, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Hey all I need a little help with putting together an information packet about Bee keeper and pollinator functions. I just ordered an
    observation bee hive because I know it would cost me more in mess ups then to buy..LOL

Its for "NatureFest" hosted by a local Museum in a park. I plan on bringing an empty Hive with all parts and frames , the observation hive , tools ,smoker , Jacket.. I was thinking of putting some photo's and information on some foam board. I want to also include CCD.

I know a bunch have done some speaking on the matter. If anyone could offer Advice ,help, or information It would be a BIG help.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Mike, Are you associated with a local Beekeepers group in your area? You may be able to tap into some of their resources. Our club has done several presentations for the public and local schools.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I did a presentation at the day-care and one at the elementary school. In addition to what you have listed, I brought along my 2 frame extractor and explained how it would spin a frame of honey out. (they all got to crank it). They all got a picture taken with a veil on.
    I also sprung for a big tray of strawberries, blueberrys, apple slices, etc., stuff the kids really like, and about half way through I would ask who likes strawberries, blueberrys, some crackers?(with honey of course :wink:) I would then explain that without the honey bee we wouldn't have a lot of these things. Then ..................................I let 'em dig in! :lol:
    I also brought along beeswax and sent them all home with a small beeswax skep.
    I got a lovely hand made poster saying "Thanks" from all the kids.
    Good for you for doing the demo. :thumbsup:

4. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I joined one but there is no contact information execpt I get a group email about mothly meetings which passed for may and will be the tuesday after the presentation ..lol my luck

5. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Perry has got it going on, I say fly him down for show n' tell!!! :thumbsup: I 'll send the strawberries....

6. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Our club presentations have large pictures of the Queen (They all want to see a picture of the queen), worker and drone, and we explain their "jobs", Other anatomy things such as pollen baskets or 8 wax glands on their abdomens, how they communicate with the waggle dance, who stings and why, how to remove a stinger. Little fun numerical facts about one bee makes 1/12 a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime, or a honey bee has to visit a flower 18 times for proper pollination, etc. We also have a Q& A time too... We get the craziest questions!
    Have fun! There s so much more information than you will have time for. It will go fast.

7. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Ok So 1 week away... here is a pic of the Flyer that went out .. look good....

untitled.jpg

Facinating Bee keeping Demo... ?????

I just told them I would bring an empty Hive with all parts and frames , the observation hive , tools ,smoker , Jacket.. I was thinking of putting some photo's and information on some foam board.

hive.png

At this point I hope I have a few bees to put in there...

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

You can make very specific "google" searches for "images" that are available over the web and print them out. Depending on your printer capabilities, you can get some pretty large presentable pictures, to display exactly what you want the emphasize.

9. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Go to the Brushy Mountain website and look at their teaching hive. It is a series of frame sized photos that shows what you would be looking at if you pulled a frame out of a hive.

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

When giving a talk on bees I like to relate stories on experiences I have had during the presentation mixing them in in relation to what topic I am on at the time. I think it keeps peoples attention span longer and gives them something they possibly can relate to

11. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thats what I am going to do... also bring my laptop with a slide show of some really good pics...

12. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Its nice but about $80 ... The fact that I am buying another nuc I really cant go for another $80 this week..

13. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Yea I could tell them about all my problems ... lol I know The basic information so I feel ok about it .. I did get the Life cycle poster too. I am just like what demo ... I will light the smoker...lol

14. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Ok so one crutches and all I did the presentation for Nature Fest 2012. It went really good (I think). There was about 300-400 people during the day. This is how I set up.
    View attachment 2012-06-09_10.19.47.jpg View attachment 2012-06-09_10.20.00.jpg View attachment 2012-06-09_10.20.09.jpg View attachment 2012-06-09_10.20.13.jpg View attachment 2012-06-09_10.20.21.jpg View attachment 2012-06-09_10.20.28.jpg View attachment 2012-06-09_10.20.44.jpg View attachment 2012-06-09_10.19.54.jpg
    I even lit the smoker and packed it good enough that it stayed for almost 2 hrs ...

15. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Amazing job! Looks Great! Congratulations on a "Fascinating Beekeeping Demo"!:coolphotos:

16. kebee

kebee Active Member

I think you had things set up real good, made me want to be there to enjoy, keep up the great work, I like it.

kebee

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Good job. Goes a long way to promote beekeeping. Thanks.............

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Medic, It looks really impressive and I'm sure that if I had been there would have been impressed. Sorry to close with one word of criticism--you left out one very important ingredient in the pictures: YOURSELF. :cry:

19. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thanks all. I had a great time doing it and from the positive responce so did everyone what came by...