need some more eyes on this...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by heinleinfan, May 10, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Right, so, just posted about a swarmed hive. I was downloading pics from my camera to send to my neighbor...and...well...tell me what you think about this. In the green circle...is that what I think it is?
    Eyes nearly as big as a drone...but big abdomen behind those wings...big long legs sticking out...am I really seeing what I think I'm seeing?

Is it a queen?!?!?! Or am I just having some wishful thinking after my worry over not seeing her?

queen.jpg

2. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

I see a drone. in fact, I see another one that looks the same on the far right of the capped brood. But I have been known to be wrong :lol:

3. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Heh, there are many drones on this frame, yes...but in the circle, the bee right under that drone, right next to it. There are three workers (two mostly in the circle) all facing the drone and that bee, one worker is nose-to-nose (if bees had noses) to her...

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

its a drone sorry m8, keep looking gotta be there someplace

5. Omie

Omie New Member

It's a drone.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Keep searching!!

7. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I coulda swore that's a queen. The abdomen is much longer than the drone next to her, and pointier and actually sticking down into a cell. It's not nearly as rounded and bulbous, and more brown with no black at the tip, nearly all my drones have fully black bottoms. She's got that looong leg showing, queens always have those shapely long legs...she's longer than the drone next to her...

...I'm getting ya'll glasses for christmas.

:p

8. Omie

Omie New Member

It's no longer than the other drones- it's an optical camera thing that we've all seen. the butt is not stuck down in a cell. The wing shine is making the abdomen seem a bit longer than it actually is. It's a drone, same size as the other ones in the picture, just a bit lighter color. Drone eyes, and same 'long shapely' leg as the drone on the top bar at right...
    ...But you can buy me some new glasses anyway if you like- mine are expensive! :lol:

9. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

hehehe, aren't glasses expensive though? The pair before last got broken when we were trying to move our hives from our bear infested back yard. The ladies were...angry. We stapled some screen all around any gap we could find, but missed some and they came flying outta there and right up under my veil.

I was flapping around trying to get the darned thing off since it was FULL OF BEES and snapped one of my earpieces right off.

Darn bears cost me $300!

10. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I have a much less experienced eye than anyone who has replied but I also thought it was a drone before I saw anyone's reply. Good picture though.

Every time I've seen one of my queens, she's had 8 to 10 bees attending her all more or less pointing toward her. They seem to rotate around her as she moves around the foundation or it seems that way to me anyway.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

heinleinfan writes..
    The abdomen is much longer than the drone next to her

tecumseh:
    well the first thing you should notice is the eyes of a drone are much different from either a queen or a worker bee. in trying to pick out the queen the abdomen is a good aspect to look for... in a fully formed queen the abdomen will be about three body segments longer than her wings.

12. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

I am usually the one that spots the queens, my husband is terrible at it! And yes, I always look for that big gold abdomen. I'm *sure* my hive has a new queen, I just didn't spot her. I'll go back in a few days and look for the eggs and see if I can get a real shot of her, instead of some drone in drag!

13. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

I get my glasses online. $300 prescription glasses can be had for about $40. If you have a copy of your prescription (and if you don't your eye doctor, by law, has to give it to you) you pick your style and color of frame and lense and enter your prescription and pupillary distance and in a couple weeks they show up in the mail. I've gotten several pairs and they are great, and cheap enough to buy backups. http://www.zennioptical.com/

Do it all online and never get robbed by your local eye doctor again.