Need to Move a Hive

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Fredo Batali, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Fredo Batali

Fredo Batali New Member

I captured a swarm Tuesday before last and they have settled in very well in their new home. I really need to move them. I asked my local bee supplier about moving them and he recommends moving them at night at leat two to three miles away. Let them reorient to the hive and then move them to their final home to reorient again. What do you folks do when you move your hives. I read a previos post where the hive will be moved during the day???

De Oppresso Liber

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

How far are you moving them?

3. Fredo Batali

Fredo Batali New Member

Iddee,

I'll be moving them a about three hundred yards plus (across the pasture). They are too near the neighbor with a very active dog (about 50 feet).

De Oppresso Liber

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't often recommend this often, but under these circumstances, I agree with the other guy. Move them twice.

OR, wait 42 plus days, until they have raised 2 brood cycles, then move them home at dusk. You will likely lose a few of the older foragers at that time, but it won't hurt the hive. A new swarm should be moved the day it is caught.

PS. I wouldn't worry about the dog. Bees teach quickly, and dogs learn just as quick.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Don't move hives during the day, you will leave behind all your foragers.

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

dogs learn real fast, both of mine stay just to the 1 half of the yard now, they see a white box they give it a 25 feet of space:lol:, and I agree with these guys move it twice and at night, also in this heat screen the entrance and I even drop a screen on the top so as to not kill them from fast overheating