Need weather proofing help

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Oct 16, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I bought several 4ft. by 4ft sheets of plywood 7/8 thick that is laminated on one side ($5.00 ec.). I'm going to make migratory lids out of them, the alum. flashing won't cover the edges on two sides. Is there something that would work better than paint to cover the edges of the plywood to keep the water and weather from making it warp? Jack

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

Great buy Jack:thumbsup: I would saturate those exposed edges with glue, Titebond of course

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

A quick question what is laminated on the one side? and what was used to hold the material on? Depending what is laminated and how it can cause warping and other problems. a more detailed description of what you bought and how you plan to use it and some of us may be able to provide incite into any pitfalls we have run into. I say this cause I have had issues.
    Great buy Jack.

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

I cover my lids with scraps of 'ice and water shield', that self-adhesive stuff used on roofs. Then I cover the ice-and-water shield with some sheet aluminum that I scrounged, to keep the sun from deteriorating it.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My neighbor that i bought this from is a truck driver, i haven't talk to him, but i bought it from his son. The plywood is what they make shipping crates from,( they sell them also for $40.00, put together) The laminate is on one side and like what is on kitchen cabinet tops, but has writing on it with black ink. I'm not worried about warping under the laminate side, it's the 7/8in. side edge exposed to to weather (rain & snow) that will collect moisture that i want to protect, the top and front and back will be covered with alum. flashing. Was thinking about using roofing tar, but don't know about it's effect on the girls? Jack
    ​PS. one neighbor bought some of the shipping crates, and said he can put a ton of grain in them. Stored inside of course.

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

How far off I-70 are you. I run back and forth to st louis regularly. I have some aluminum hive top plates I have already ran across the press brake that would probably fit it on all 4 sides if your interested

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I would not bother with the metal and under cut the plywood from around the edge so the wood sides protect the plywood. then the sides can be nailed into the plywood ends thru the sides.
    Image2.jpg
    Saw cut up to laminate cut the last 32nd inch with knife
    Break wood strip off with hive tool clean underside of laminate with chisel
    Fit a wood rim with a rabbit around the top.
    Use a good waterproof glue and paint the edges.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am not certain of what 'that' type of plywood is called but it sound quite a bit like the stuff that is used for making concrete forms with the laminated side being a layer designed to not stick. if it is the same stuff quite a few folks make tops and bottoms with the stuff and I am guessing no sealing of the end grains is required. I have been told it is also hard on carbide tipped saw blades and is both very dense and very heavy. I do like Oblio13 idea with the ice and water shield.... you of course could never find that kind of product here and is likely only available in places where an internal ice dam might form (or a place where you have an accumulation of snow fall).

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Thanks to all of you for the ideas, my local lumber yard had a roll of alum. flashing 24 in. wide by 50ft. long that i'm going to try. Without a cover over the laminated side, i don't know how it would hold up exposed to the aliments? The 7/8 in. plywood is heavy enough that i won't have to put a rock on top to keep the migratory lids in place.:thumbsup: I think i'll try making a few bottom boards out of it with the laminate side down as a moisture barrier. The ice and water shield is a good idea, if i can find it. Jack