Needle Work and Sewing

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Bitty Bee, May 18, 2010.

1. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

I love to sew, crochet, cross stitch, and do a little free hand embroidery. I'd like to learn knitting and tatting. I know this is kind of old fashioned, but does any one else do some kind of needle work? If so, please share!

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Nothing as fine as you create, but I make boat canvas... sail covers, cushions, that sort of thing. I haven't done a full enclosure... that's kind of daunting, but hopefully someday I will get up the nerve to try, and some good-natured guinea pig... er, I mean person, will let me practice on their boat!

My cousin is a knitting wizard. I never learned how, but wish I had. (As if I have time for ANOTHER hobby!)

It may be "old fashioned," but it's my opinion that there will come a day when people who know skills like this will be in high demand!

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

That's really interesting. I know if XLB had a boat he would gladly let you experiment with it! He has a crazy infatuation with boats and fishing here lately.
    Personally, I prefer good ol' dirt to water to water any day.
    I just like old fashioned things. Mama and I joke about being born in the wrong time period! She says she should've been born in the Victorian times and I would've liked to be in the pioneering, Laura Ingalls, period of time. :)

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

No WBB, not victorian.... too stuffy, I just like some of those houses. I would have made a much better pioneer.

5. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Oops, sorry I misunderstood! :oops:

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

that's okay.... i talk fast sometimes :p

7. XLB

XLB New Member

are you kidding, that's all the time, you can just do more of it in the summer. :yahoo: and don't say you don't like fishing. :lol: :D

8. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

WBB, I can't do anything domestic very well, but I dabble in some crosstitch occasionally. I have done a few crotcheting projects, but I'm left-handed and no matter how hard I try to mirror image the yarn and hook, I always manage to end up with stiff and tense hands from the stress, LOL.

I do admire folks who can create things, though.

9. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Cross stitch is interesting. I think it's neat how it's a simple craft to learn but can be used to make some very complicated things! Do you follow a pattern or free hand? I've done both, but whatever I make with a pattern always turns out lopsided because I missed one stitch. :D
    I can't imagine trying to crochet left handed! I've heard of people who can, and do very well, but being right handed it's hard enough for me to do as much as brush my hair with my left hand!
    The only thing I do in which my left hand is my dominant hand is shooting a long gun. Since I'm left eye dominant, I have to shoot left handed or else I hold the gun wrong and can't hit the target; and I can't aim with my right eye. Shooting isn't a very domestic thing though. :mrgreen:

10. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Well..... it's kinda sorta almost grocery shopping if you wanna call it that! :mrgreen:

11. Ladyleo191

Ladyleo191 New Member

WBB, it is so interesting that you shoot left-handed, 'cause I'm a right-handed shooter! It is absolutely the only thing I can do with my right hand.

I usually use a cross stitch pattern, otherwise, anything I stitch would look like a Picasso creation :)

12. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

ladyleo, that is so interesting! Is there a reason why you shoot right-handed or is it just more comfortable?
    I wear glasses because my right eye is a lazy eye, and over the years my eyes have adjusted so the left is dominant. I couldn't hit a target shooting right-handed to save my life!

13. chrisjay

chrisjay New Member

One of my friend is expert in Needle Work, you can say that I'm learning sewing and all this stuff from him. He can help us. :smile: ____________________________________________