Neem oil

Discussion in 'Organic Beekeeping' started by Beeboy, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

gotta love auto-correct spelling. Run it through here maybe? I have heard that anything that will kill bugs will kill bees.

Myself, I use beneficial nematodes for ground dwelling fire ants, fleas, other ants. I use diluted dishsoap when I need a topical spray, and try to use it at night.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

4. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

Hmmm, thanks guys. They say that only the insects that eat the plant are killed. Bees don't eat plants, so they are not killed. It actually doesn't kill on contact, but it messes with the insects hormones, and it effects their brain to where they either forget to eat, or mate, or forget that they can fly. Thus it ends up interrupting the cycle and the insects die. I don't know, I'm just repeating what I read.

5. Gypsi

Sounds a lot like a neonic. I'm sticking with blasting spidermites off with my garden hose of plain water, and finding other solutions. To each their own.

6. Lpol

Lpol New Member

Benefits of Neem
    1.Natures neem oil is not used for food preparation purposes.
    2.it is used for planning cosmetics.
    3. Neem seeds oil has also been discovered to avoid implantation and may even have an antiabortion impact just like penny royal.
    NTEP scale

7. CarrollwoodBees

CarrollwoodBees New Member

I am a veggie gardener and fruit tree owner, and I only use Neem at dusk when it won't come into contact with the bees. That's the usual recommendation. Otherwise, it's the only way to go other than using diluted Fels Naptha (sp?) bar soap. The usualy dishwashing detergent is not the same thing--it's too harsh.

8. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

I have done some work[studies on it] here in my bee yard its works a mite killer if used in proper amounts. its a natural miticide. I will do a video on it in spring.
    Don

9. beeshaman

beeshaman New Member

I've read in a diluted low conc can be used as miticide without hurting bees, if bees don't eat the neem oil off flowers should be ok , neem oil is natural from a tree, great for breaking life cycles of bugs and ground insects , great in the vineyard instead of harsh Chems , don't spray flowers still , kinda of a natural systemic insecticide, fungicide etc so still proceed with caution

10. fatbeeman

fatbeeman New Member

I had used it in the past with good results

11. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

12. Gypsi

I am interested in more information on neem oil with bees. For now I am using Oxalic acid vaporization when I get a chance. (weather and schedule have not given many)

13. briano

briano New Member

I'm guessing this will no effect on your bees at all. It's a repellent, very effective against annoying, leaf-eating insects like spider mites. You spray it on the leaves that are being eaten and you can actually see it as a coating on the leaves. This coating gradually washes off after a few weeks. Although on the Web it's referred to as both repellent and insecticide my suspicion is that it's effective in our garden because it's a semi-permanent repellent, not because it kills all the mites. There are so many spider mites in our garden that just killing the mites on a handful of plants would have no effect, it works long-term because it protects the plants that have been sprayed. I'm not saying it doesn't kill the mites that get sprayed, probably does, but you aren't going to be be spraying your bees.

14. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

bees use pollen from the plants to make honey, then they eat the honey..so yes they are eating part of the plant...

15. Guba

Guba New Member

Then if you use neem oil, spray it on before the flowers bloom.