Neighbors!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Jan 31, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Well, one down, one to go! Was very surprised to here my neighbor tell me "go for it" and "good luck! " She pops benadryl during the summer like they were candy. Her husband has diabetes. They never threw one red flag. Yea!

Now, the other neighbor I'll need some extra ammo. In the 6 years I've lived here I have only talked to them a handful of times. I can almost get away with them not knowing. They are friendly but not out much and my shed will hide them. But, worried if they do they will raise a stink. Can you guys/gals give me things to tell them to be ok with me doing this?

2. Omie

Omie New Member

If you can get away with not saying anything to them and keep the hives out of their line of sight, I would go that route.
    I told my one neighbor who we are friends with. They are seniors, they were ok with it, but they sounded like they were a bit worried. the other neighbors might have guessed by now, but they don't say anything and i haven't offered the information.
    Too many people think they have 'serious allergies to bees' just because their hand swelled up once when they were stung years ago. A swelled hand is NORMAL reaction, not allergic reaction. But think about what you will say if you bring it up with a neighbor and they say "Oh, my grandson is seriously allergic to bees, that would be way too dangerous for you to have a whole hive next to us." Will you then just give up on having bees? Will you take it to the zoning people? People are always SURE they have deadly allergies, and are you prepared to let them decide whether you can keep bees or not?

Better to just get your bees and learn to discourage their swarming and be a good neighbor. Give each neighbor a big jar of honey after you've had the bees for 2 years. If they act surprised and didn't realize by then, it will help convince them that having bees next door is not a big deal after all.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would put them out of site and let it be. Make sure you have a tall enough fence or bushed to get the bees up and over head for a flight path. More than likely they will never know. Sometimes its best to ask for forgivness than it is to ask permission

4. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I've been leaning this way. What you say is true. I haven't been stung in 15-20 years. (knock on wood) I remember my arm swelled up. Till now I thought I was allergic to bee stings. I can see how people would think they were as well.

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

In the picture part of this website I posted where I am going to put my bees. Neighbor in concern yard is on the opposite side. You can see a bit of my fence. It is a wood fence that has a "scalloped" top. Only 4' tall. But, from their house you can't see where they will be placed.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

If your bees are on the far side of the shed from the neighbors in question, they won't be heading out to forage by flying to your neighbors' house at eye level.
    I'd say you have little to worry about at this point. You might not want to parade around with your veil and smoker though. I always bring my veil and smoker over to my hives and THEN light the smoker and put on my veil, i don't walk around the yard in full 'action mode'. lol
    If you saw any of my bee videos, you'll see that I put up some 6 foot high high bamboo screening in strategic places that cut off the view of my hives from both the neighbors' houses and the street. My hives are thus not easily seen and they can't watch me working my hives unless they poke around peeking through the bushes.

7. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I did see you vids. Great job! And yes, I was going to wait till I got on the other side before suiting up! Kind of like Kent Clark jumpin into a phone booth changing into his Superman outfit!

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Omie, you forgot to mention that you painted your hives with that "magical green" colour that seems to have worked out well for you! :D

9. Omie

Omie New Member

Yes, the Magic Green paint! It helps to paint your hives a color that blends in with the surroundings. And a dark green could look like recycle or compost bins. ;)

Crazy8- nice new avatar you got there!

10. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I'm gonna go along with the general consensus, go for it, and don't worry about the neighbors. Did they consult you when they put in their storage shed or swimming pool?

As long as there is no local ordinances against it, they don't have much room to complain.

On the other hand, if your bees start getting their water from the neighbors pool, then they may have a valid complaint.

Omie put it very well. 2 years from now, give them a jar of honey.

11. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

I agree with everyone else, go for it! More than likely, they will never know that you keep bees unless you tell them. If they find out several years down the road, a jar of honey will go a long way. My neighbor to the south (300 yds away) was worried when he found out that I had bees, saying "I wondered where all of those bees were coming from that kept drinking from my leaking garden hose! Glad none of my kids got stung". I gave him a jar of honey and invited him over to suit up and observe a hive inspection. He was amazed at how gentle the bees were and seemed to enjoy the experience, and now he is a regular honey customer.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Neighbors!

tecumseh:
    shoot 'em if they complain. bribery via honey also works.

13. Zulu

Zulu Member

Sounds like a good Texan way to deal with em .... :D

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Note to self:

If ever touring the south, go around texas! :shock: :lol:

15. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Go for it!

If they pitch a fit and you are ordered to get rid of your bees I'll buy them, your stuff, and bring them back to NJ.

The worlds going to end in 11 months anyway ;)

Get busy! Theres brood in NJ already....and lots of greenish-yellow pollen...maybe skunk cabbage.

Good luck!

16. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

[​IMG]

If only the fence on the sides were 6 foot I wouldn't have concerns. Back side is. With placing the hives in the far corner of the shed they won't know. Hopefully.... :beg:

17. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm picturing the conscientious passer-by deciding to toss her apple core into your "compost bin"...

18. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol I am envisioning your puppy cocking his leg--and getting a rude suprise

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

He'll only do it once! :shock: :lol:

20. Omie

Omie New Member

You guys crack me up~! lol