neighbors

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by reidi_tim, Sep 4, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

My dads neighbor asked if I would put a hive next to his garden next year ( even with the drought his garden did better then average according to him and he believes it was my bees that made this happen), which really my hives are closer to his garden then the folks. He asked me what I would charge to have a hive at his garden, for this and I told him nothing. I can't charge somebody who brought dad food when mom was sick. He also wanted to know if there was a way to have a hive attached to there green house. I was thinking along the lines of a hive with two entrances one to the green house and one to the outside world.

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Remember to tell him about the dangers of pesticides. They are a no-no with bees around.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

And honeybees in a greenhouse are dead bees. They will fly upward and never come back down until they die.

4. Omie

Omie Active Member

Nice that you are doing this- good karma gets passed around. :)

5. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

You can explain to them that bees forage for two miles around their hive, but seldom right by the hive. So they will actually be better off having the hive a little further away. I have never seen one of my bees on flowers in my own back yard, but once I get about two hundred feet from the hive I see them here and there. I was told that the waggle dance can't communicate distances that short.

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Whatever way it is, they can definitely communicate locations over short distances. I've seen it when one hive tells its population about the hive "next door" that can't protect itself and ends up being robbed. I've see in when one bee tells another about exposed frames of honey ten feet away, and within minutes, droves of bees are going wild over the frames. I've seen it when stacks of supers of honey removed from hives had a small access hole discovered by one bee and within minutes was crowded with traffic trying to fly in and get a free meal. They definitely have a means of quickly sharing information of honey within short distances. :frustrated:

7. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

That sounds great! I wish I had a neighbor that wanted my bees closer instead of calling the cops on me, heh.

I have a flower bed with some purple flowering thing in it (the land lord maintains it, I'm not sure what it is) and my ladies are *all* over it this time of year. I can watch them go from the hive to that bed, work it, and back to the hive, and it's only about 10 feet away from the hive. I also see them regularly working the dandelions all over the yard in spring, some right next to the hive. So they will forage close, I think there just has to be enough forage for them to be interested in it.

As for greenhouses, I saw what Iddee posted so maybe that's not a good idea. However, I do know that I built a tomato house this year, a little 4x8 shelter of plastic about 5 feet tall at the highest points. I leave the door side of it wide open during the day, and I do see bees (and other pollinators) on my tomatoes. I have not seen dead bees in there, though. So, they do seem to go in an out, but again, it's only a small little thing and not a large structure, and it's open each day until dusk, when they're all returning home.

8. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

what's a neighbor?

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

A wild hog that makes noises like a horse! :lol:

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

hlf,

1.. Does the door open near the top of the structure?

2.. Bumble bees work well in a greenhouse, so "other pollinators" do differently than honeybees.

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That's funny Keith...you want one? I have one in mind you could adopt...ha!

Awesome Tim! I have had several of those request already myself...A few of them have offered to pay for the whole hive if I tend to it...and offered half the honey harvest to me. I haven't said yes to anyone yet.

12. Tia

Tia New Member

This conversation about the greenhouse is interesting. I will be installing a greenhouse this month and I was worried about what Iddee said because I know from experience with my previous greenhouse--a small, cheap one with a plastic skin--that if I didn't keep the door closed at all times that my girls would get trapped in there and die! My new greenhouse is a real one, 12 X 10, and it will have vents in the roof that open and close automatically with the temperature. Do you think the girls would leave through those vents?

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Not when cooler, and they are closed.. :rolling:

They will search for an exit at or near the top. If they find one, they will use it.

14. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

My neighbor that came and asked me for a hive this spring enjoyed it very much. When I brought it home to deal with shb more easily, and protect it from mosquito spray, well one of my swarms up and moved to his bee shelf. He went and bought a jacket and a hive. Good neighbors are priceless. Our local bee club will have a new member, he's having fun.

And his garden did better for having bees, he said mine just weren't visiting. I told him to plant more flowers. I had wondered on the greenhouse idea myself. But we mainly use ours for starting seedlings, not for growing crops in the heat of summer. Temps get too high.

15. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

His green house is like 16 x 30 with all the bells and whistles everything is automatic vents, fans, and watering ( makes the folks 10x12 with manual vents look like tinker toy) and his garden is close to an acre. This to me is a good enough reason to set another ( hmmm.. or ten ) hives next year. With Iddes' post one will not be attached to the green house. Dave, he did offer to pay for it and only wanted enough honey for their use. So he asked me what it would take to get a hive set up next year and the only reply I could give was "to do nothing more then he is doing now". Him and dad are from the old school where you help your neighbor and to put a price on the folks having a neighbor like that pricelesss.....:thumbsup:, well worth having a hive at dads partener in crime:smile:

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My price for a hive like that, and I have ""sold?"" a few, is for them to join a local bee club and if they have internet, join a couple of forums. If they don't want to do that, I won't give them a hive to kill.

17. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

My price was I took care of it, and when it needed more care than I could do on site, I brought it home. But it gave one of my 2 largest hives a high perch at some distance, so if I had a skunk raid, it was safe.

To have it be a keeper, he bought his own woodware for the swarm that picked his house.

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

:amen:
    And reciprocally good neighbors even more.

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the most valuable things don't have no price tag.

20. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

He just wants bees closer to his place. With all the work that need to be done on the property we bought him and dad are going to be busy cutting the fire break in the woods and getting fences put up. So for me to check a hive that is 1/4 mile from my farthest hive is not an issue.