Never Deep Fry a Frozen Turkey......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverbee, Nov 25, 2013.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

it's thanksgiving so i had to post this, lot's of funny videos on folks trying to deep fry turkeys, know you southerners do a bit of frying. BTW, happy thanksgiving all! we enjoy grilling a bird on the charcoal grill with my special recipe and a little pecan wood chips. mmmmmmmm!!!!! anyway, this is actually a controlled fry by a fire department to demonstrate what happens........:lol:
    the fire guy was a little sloppy putting the turkey in but it's funny. being an ex-fire investigator, i can tell you lots of stupidity with grills, smokers and fryers! #1: never use a fryer on a wood deck, #2: never use a fryer in the garage........POOF!!!!!........:lol: (ps, some were intentional though, and some received more than they bargained for). how do i know? either moved all the furniture off the deck and emptied a garage, or a whole house.......:lol:

happy thanksgiving and have a safe one!.......:lol:

[video=youtube_share;0QMuLU7oi14]http://youtu.be/0QMuLU7oi14[/video]

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Last weekend we smoked, grilled a deer hindquarter, after brining for 3 days and marinating for 1 day, then covering with a spicy rub. Smoked with apple wood. Still eating on it and still loving it. I use my turkey deep fryer for mixing sugar water for bees ONLY.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

mmmmm, mmmmm! sounds good iddee, what's in your spicy rub for the vennison?
    we have used apple wood so much, that we switched to using different chips and pecan chips recently, i love it!

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It is a rub from the grocery store, apple wood flavored.

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

[​IMG]

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Becky, I had my first taste of deep fried turkey a week ago. Tried one infused with creole butter and one with teryaki. My favorite was teryaki. It sizzled and popped with just a cold, thawed bird.

I noticed you mentioned pecan for seasoning. I had always used hickory on the grill until recently. A family member asked me if I wanted a small load of downed pecan limbs. I wanted some for wood turning but also read about using it for seasoning. So, I went and loaded it up. Can't wait till this spring to use some of it.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

dave, i like deep fried turkey too, i think my favorite from what you mentioned might be the one with the creole butter.....:wink:

we use a few different chips, apple (from our own tree) hickory, mesquite (much stronger chips) the pecan and cherry. you will like the flavor it adds to anything you grill with it. with some meats or fish, i don't like to overpower it with smoked flavor, just a subtle flavor. i would also bet that the wood would be very pretty.......er....okay very attractive and look really neat for pens.....:grin:

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

What happened to the cranberries?
    Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.
    [​IMG]

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ef, i have never used cranberries for smoking a turkey...............something you know i don't?..............:lol:

just kidding ef, btw, you all can keep the cranberries, i have never really cared for them......YUK!....:grin:

10. Zulu

Zulu Member

I BBQ my turkey on charcoal ,

while it's all the rage , I just could not justify spending $25 on the oil to cook a $18 turkey :lol:

​My turkey fryer is also used to mix sugar syrup, or as backup brew kettle.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

yep, turkey on the grill today, it was FABULOUS, i used a little pecan chips, not very much, don't like it totally smoked. 4oz when the bird goes in, and 4 oz 30 minutes later. we did the bird with leine's honeyweiss beer, mixed with my honey for basting. some of the beer goes in a pan below the turkey, and some goes in the cook......ME!.....:lol: a few other things in my recipe, but nothing better than turkey on the grill!

12. Ray

Ray Member

20 pound Amish raised turkey in a roasting pan in the oven with a couple cups of water and no seasonings what-so-ever. The result is a platter of meat that tastes like Turkey[​IMG].
    I feel sorry for all the folks that have to eat those industrial[​IMG] birds.

13. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Ray are you sick, eating meat that tastes like Turkey? you not getting in to the Walmart spirit of the season.

I hear you I miss the turkeys the father in law use to raise before he sold the farm. They tasted delicious but man were they dumb.

14. Marbees

Marbees Member

Lower IQ, tastier the meat :lol: