Never heard of this for SHB?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Feb 25, 2010.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Two club members got into and argument at the bee club meeting last Tues. night. One who has several hives and has worked for commercial beekeepers, said he puts diesel fuel and mouthballs under his hives to keep the SHB's away and has never had any of them. The other member told him how he was contaminating the ecosystem by doing so. Well it got a little heated and the club president changed the subject. I've never heard of this and don't plan on doing it, but was wondering if any of you have heard of using diesel fuel and mouthballs under beehives? I would think the fumes (with SBB) would be bad for the bees,it would be like driving being behind a diesel truck on the Interstate Hwy all the time with a hint of mouthball scent to me. :roll: But maybe it works. :confused: Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Pouring diesel fuel on the ground is illegal. Other than that, I don't know how effective it might be.

PS. It works better than roundup to control weeds......... A little birdie told me that. :drinks:

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

:lol:

Yeah I heard of it before.

But shhhhh......your not supposed to talk about this stuff.

6-7 years ago, I was black listed by some, had nasty emails, and even one letter writing campaign against me, for commenting on some of the practices that commercial types perform.

Fast forward to today.....I heard it stated by some rather large CCD poster child types, that commercial types have not used checkmite since 2002. That nobody ever used illegal treatments, or it was probably an isolated case. That such practices of deisel fuel, does not happen. :roll:

Now, these same commercial guys, who complained about my mentioning of illegal chemicals, are in front of the bee industry suggesting they are on the "front line" of saving all of human mankind. When they put crap in the hive, or on the ground, it's swept under the rug with suggestions that they had no option. Now they rail against other people's chemicals, while they watch their hives crash. All the while, they have been some of the worst abusers of contamination of hives and environment for years.

It's always interesting when slivers of truth happen to come forth. It may not include all commercial beekeepers. But the norm is for one guy to come up with something, and it travels the grapevine very fast.