Never seen this before?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by brooksbeefarm, Aug 2, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

In my garden post i said the birds were getting two ears of corn to my one,well the bees are all over the corn tossels and i took several hits in the palm of my hands from wasp and honey bees when pulling the ears off. :confused: Where the birds had broke the corn kernels open the bees were collecting nectar from it. This is an extra sweet corn (Ambrosia) and every year they work the tossels for pollen, but this year some were taking nectar from the tossels and corn kernels, i've never seen this before. Everything is burnt up even the dutch clover which usually blooms up into Sept. so the corn is there only source to work. To much rain in the spring and drought in the summer, i now hear myself say what my family and other farmers say, Well maybe next year will be better. :roll: Jack

2. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Mine are bring in a fair amount of white pollen in the mornings ?

Got ONE p-poor tomato out of the patch so far, 4 nice cantalopes that I believe a coon ate !
    Jut letting the weed have it.

Murrell

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Murrell, are you coming to the fair in Springfield, Mo.? Jack

4. Murrell

Murrell New Member

You said you were going to be there when, in the afternoon if I remember correctly.
    Let me check with Granny Good Cook, last time we were at the Springfield Fair, JAN & DEAN were the stars. 15 years ago or better ??

We have to be in St. Louis on 9,10, &11.

Just asked Granny and she said she's ready !

Murrell

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My wife and I are scheduled to work Fri. Aug. 5th 5:00pm to 10:00pm.Hope to see you there and any other forum members. :thumbsup: Jack
    PS. the bee booth is in the SE. corner of the E-Plex (in air conditioning. :mrgreen: )

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Jack;
    We will see you Friday evening, we'll get down about 3:00 so we can see a little of the Fair, hopefully it will be cool like today, had 1&1/2 in. of rain this morning.
    I'll stop in Marshfield and get a motel for the night, with all the motels in Springfield they were still all filled during the Fair in the past. If at all possible now I try to avoid driving at night.

This makes the 3 rd. time in 3 weeks we've been to Springfield, think any of that city stuff will ware off on us !

Murrell