New and expecting in Southern Illinois

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SeedyH, Jan 13, 2012.

1. SeedyH

SeedyH New Member

Wanted to say hello. I live in rural southern Illinois. I have been reading lots of posts here. I joined because you are so knowledgeable, but I also noticed that you treat eachother with respect and are so friendly that you make people feel comfortable. (which is great because I'm going to have lots of stupid questions :D ) I've not gotten my bees yet, but I ordered russians with marked russian queens. They're due to arrive mid April. I've already put together two hives and registered them with the Dept of Agriculture. They're sitting in my kitchen. I ordered most of my equipment. Right now I'm just nervous and really excited about getting started.

2. jb63

jb63 New Member

Welcome Seedy.

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome to the friendliest bee forum around. :hi:
    You've come to the right place to learn about your new addiction.
    You're going about it the right way, getting everything together and learning as much as you can before your bees arrive.
    You said in your first post that you will have lots of stupid questions.......No you won't. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    Are there any beekeeping associations around where you live? If so, I would advise you to join one or more. These organizations are good places to learn about beekeeping in your area. What works for you in IL might be different for tecumseh in Texas or Perrybee up in Nova Scotia.
    Again welcome. There a bunch of friendly knowlegable folks here.
    Don't forget to check out the mini-chat. We have a great time there.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcome to the forum

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome SpeedH.

southern Illinois may be rural but it is also quite pretty and good luck on the bees.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

See, this is what happens when you go to bed early, everyone else beats ya to welcoming the new folks.
    Although I may be a bit tardy, welcome SeedyH, as Gunny says, to one of the friendliest bee forums. Bees and fun are what it's all about. (quoting Big Bear)
    Questions are welcomed, we all learn by them and it keeps us fresh at the same time. We never stop learning about bees!

8. Zulu

Zulu Member

Welcome to our madness, this hobby will keep you guessing many a time, but all the answers and then some are usually here.

I hope you stay a long time

9. SeedyH

SeedyH New Member

Thanks, I think it's beautiful here too. The bees are going in the back of a corn/soybean field. We have nothing but fields, woods and ponds around here. I did check on the beekeeping association. There was one but it dissolved about 5 or 6 years ago. The lady who I talked to said it was because people were getting older, their numbers were dwindling, and there wasn't anyone new getting into beekeeping. There's two more people who are getting bees this spring near me. I suppose we'll be learning together.

ps. could have sworn I posted a reply in the wee hours when I couldn't sleep. I must have forgotten to hit the submit button. Thank you, everyone, for the welcome!

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome, from SW. Mo. Jack

11. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

SeedyH:

Check out ilsba.com, this is the website for the Illinois State Beekeepers association.

12. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :)

I'm just learning, too, so I may ask the silly questions that you'll want to ask eventually. Great folks here. Good luck with your bees!

13. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Welcome to the forum, Speedy. I have a wife from Southern Illinois...Fairfield.

You probably don't know her, she moved to Edwardsville when she was in college and we've been married 40+ years. :D

Walt

14. SeedyH

SeedyH New Member

Gunsmith,
    Thank you for the link. The nearest place I see is fairfield. bout an hour and a half to two away. Not too terribly bad.
    Walt B, I live pretty close to allendale in wabash county. I'm not too familiar with anyone around. Everyone seems to know me and the husband. I think it's because my father-in-law's family has been farming around these parts for quite a long time.

15. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome Seedy H, :wave:
    Lots of great people on this forum willing to share their knowledge.
    Is there anything else growing in your area? Any fields of clover or alfalfa. Corn/soybean are not the first choice for nectar production.
    As for your excitement, it will double up in April :lol:

16. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Howdy SeedyH and welcome to the forum :wave:

17. SeedyH

SeedyH New Member

Marbees,
    There are some fields that grow feed for cows/horses/goats nearby. I know they grow alfalfa, not too sure on the clover though. I'll have to ask and find out.