New Bee Film at the TIFF - More Than Honey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adam Foster Collins, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

That is some very cool footage..timing would be very complicated.
    Those ladies seem to have their business down savvy...I especially like the ole gal smoking the stogie, ha!
    The video going into the cage was detailed...now I know what those bees feel like going in there...

On a side note, nice work on the web designs and the Threads of Peru is very neat! I may just have to remember the site for Christmas time..got a few ladies here in my household....

3. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

That's amazing! However did they film the mating sequence? I'm picturing another little bee trying to fly alongside with a camera. Those ladies are making some serious money!

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Well, I think you are right najo...take a look at the trailer and you will see one quick frame of the bee that looks like it has a camera and such on top of it....about 00:50
    bee cam_crop.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

Still, how many times did they try before they got that footage? And what did that little guy get for his trouble-oh, yeah, he got to live.

6. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Being entirely too curious I went googling and found out how they (may) have filmed the mating flight. At least, I found info on how one director making a different movie did it.

The crew found a drone congregation area, set up a tower, since the mating flights are up to 100 feet in the air, and set up a camera with special shutter speeds and on a 360 degree swivel. Then, they tied a tiny guide wire to the queen and attached the wire to the camera, and basically "lure" the drones to that queen that's on the line. The wire is edited out with CGI. Other than doing this with a queen, it's also done with workers and drones, etc., any bee that the film crew wants to capture in flight. The bees wired up this way are not harmed and are released after the filming.

NOT saying it's not amazing; an awful lot of research on animals and insects involve human shenanigans in order to see stuff happen that otherwise humans might never see. Just saying "here's how they (could have, if not definitely) did this!"

Apparently the in-hive shots and close ups are done with sophisticated endoscopic cameras, the kind used mostly in medicine right now to see inside the human body.

Thanks for the links, I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy of this movie! Or, I might email a request to the local indy theater here in town; they will sometimes go searching for documentaries and small release films that people request to be shown.

7. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

The bee with the stuff attached, that's a radio transponder so that flight paths can be tracked and monitored.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

60 Euro's! :shock: That's around $120 per queen.
    I didn't know German queens were that special. :lol:
    Nice video though. :thumbsup:

9. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

Were they German, or Swiss? They laughed when she said it, so I couldn't tell if she was joking.

10. elena

elena New Member

Hi!Can you recommend good movies about bees?

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome Elena :hi: to our friendly part of the beekeeping world.
    Glad you could join us. If you get a chance, say Hello on our introduction thread and maybe tell us a bit about yourself. Also, beekeeping can be a location sensitive topic so narrowing your location a bit on your profile might help.
    There are many great films out about honey bees, are you thinking more along the documentary lines?
    Some great independent ones.
    The Ailing Queen (subtitled)
    The Queen of the Sun (quirky)
    The Summer of June
    Tales of the Hive

I am sure others will kick in with more.

12. elena

elena New Member

I have one more question. How do you treat bee stings?

13. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

How do i treat bees stings.
    First and most immediate action is to say DAMN! shake my hand or other body part and curse the girl before she has passed away.
    It hen wait 24 hours or so and then scratch fairly thoroughly. Usually the effect has passed after that.

I have found that witch hazel may reduce the itching considerably. Jury is still out on that. Research has been suspended due to not having received any stings for 3 weeks now. that is a record for this summer.

14. elena

elena New Member

Hello! And tell me please how do you know how much honey you can take and how much to leave.