New Bee Keeper moving to Tennessee

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bybyc5, Mar 13, 2010.

1. bybyc5

bybyc5 New Member

Hello,
    I am new to this exciting hobby, and was going to wait to start when I finished moving to N.E. Tennessee.
    I have been reading and studying for months now, watching you tube videos, etc.
    And now I found this great forum for what looks like a great wealth of information, and a bunch of nice folks!!

I live in S.W. Florida now and will be moving to the Kingsport TN area in a couple months, out in the country.

Low and behold a swarm of friendly bees made a home underground in my water meter box about 3-4 months ago (here in my Florida home), and have been growing in numbers.

So I could not resist, I got a 5 frame nuc, and made some empty frames for it and will attempt a cut out this weekend. Bought a veil, gloves, etc and think I am ready to try this.

If I don't do this the city may come out and kill the bees, and I don't want that!

Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you all for this Forum!!

Keith

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Be very careful and watch them closely. Africanized bees are known to be in your area, and also known to like water meters. European bees will seldom use a water meter, or any place under the ground level. Keep a close watch on them, and requeen at the first sign of hostility.

Welcome to the forum. We have a bunch of nice folks here, AND ME.

When you get to Tn., be sure to update your location in your profile. Beekeeping is very localized, so we wouldn't want to give you bad info thinking you were somewhere else.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum!

Iddee is giving you some good advice on the bees below ground level.

Good luck on your move.

G3

4. bybyc5

bybyc5 New Member

Thank you for a nice welcome, and the advice.

I have been in close proximity of the hive entrance numerous times and just watch for a while each time observing the foragers coming in with pollen, and there is a lot of activity during the heat of the day. A small number flying around the entrance kind of fast and busy looking. Maybe a foot or so above it.

The bee's just ignore me.

Just to try it, I have been feeding them sugar water 2:1 in a zip lock bag, laying it on top of the meter next to their entrance an inch or so away, then putting a small slit in the bag after it is down. They eat it up in an hour or so.
    They seem docile?

I have noticed after feeding they go into a cedar bush next to my front door and I am guessing gathering honey dew for propolis production? You can hear the bush humming!
    So far so good, no bee stings yet :D
    How do I identify africanized bee's ?

Thank you,
    Keith
    I have tried the search feature and have had no success finding a way to identify these bee's.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There's no way other than DNA to be sure. It's just better to requeen any hive that becomes hostile. Even a European hive can be taken over by Africanized at any time. All we can do is keep gentle bees and replace hostile ones.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

keith writes:
    How do I identify africanized bee's ?

tecumseh:
    you capture and kill perhaps 50 bees in some alcohol and send the sample to the state bee lab. most place do a morphological exam (ie they look at certain physical structures) and if there is a large question then may perform a dna test.

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Welcome to the forum. It sure sounds like you are getting an exciting start!

9. XLB

XLB New Member

hey there, welcome aboard! :hi:

good luck on the move. i don't know about any body else, but i can't stand moving. i like traveling tho.

10. rast

rast New Member

Welcome (and take the advice on AHB's very seriously).