New bee keeping question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Brooklyn, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Brooklyn

Brooklyn New Member

Hello I am thinking of beekeeping as a hobby. I live in a small neighborhood with 1/2 acre lots. About 500 yards from my house there is a very large pond. Surrounding the area is all kinds of farming and peach orchards all with in 4 miles or less.

I would like to start off small in my back yard
    We try to do all organic gardening. We have two plum trees a raised bed for vegetables and all kinds of flowers, roses etc...
    The back end of the property we have kept it kind of natural with flowers and trees we have planted with the natural flora.

We have a pool that uses very little chemicals, we use salt to chlorinate it and an originator to help it stay clean. We use less salt then in my tap water.

We have two boxers that enjoy the back area of the yard. would there be any harm to start a bee hive will the bees and dogs co exists? Should I look for some other place to put the bees? I live in South Carolina USA.

Thanks for the help
    Brooklyn

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It sounds like a fine place for 2 to 6 hives. I recommend all new beeks start with two hives. Then they have something to compare and will catch a problem much quicker.

The bees and dog will co-exist fine. I have seen a few dogs that would snap a bee out of the air now and then, but not enough to be a problem for the dog or hive. Most dogs will keep their distance after the first visit. "stings"

Welcome to the forum.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

welcome to the forum!!

sounds like a great place for a couple of hives to start out with.

ask away there are many on this site willing to help you get started.

G3

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Hi Brooklyn (hey, where I was born!)

we only have a 1/3 acre lot and I have just one hive now, but I plan two total for next year. I think my lot is probably too small for 6 hives, I'm trying to be considerate of the neighbors.
    Your lot sounds great to me for 2 or 3 hives. If it's a hobby you might not want more than that at first. I agree with others that 2 is ideal to start with for the first year- you will be learning TONS of stuff as you go along and you'll have your hands full with two!
    I am very thrilled and happy to be starting out keeping bees as well, this is my first month as a keeper.

5. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Welcome to the forum.

I just started this year...with 2 hives. The advantage I found for 2 is that you can compare their behavior. It's fun, you'll worry about them (which is natural) and everything will be OK. :thumbsup:

One thing I did was check with the neighbors to make sure nobody was allergic, or that any of their regular visitors was allergic, and nobody had severe reservations about bees in the area (after the first spring and summer, they're pretty happy with the honey and pollination).

There is a lot of good help and advice on the forum. Glad you joined.

Walt

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

bees quite typically are attracted to a water source with some salt included. yep them girls need their daily ration of salt also. if you think the pool may be a problem add a closer source of water and add some lemongrass to get the girls visiting this more convient place from day one.

as to dogs... some do well and some don't. the don't you will need to put up whenever you work the girls and they will pretty quickly know when to stay away or inside when they see you in your little white suit. my current issue of 'dog' fits this don't classification. as a contrast I have a neighbors dogs who often times comes over and wanders around with me when I work the girls here at the house.

brooklyn... excellent name. I have a number of family member and a couple of god children (thankfully now of age) who live in lower manhatten and I do enjoy going there from time to time.