New beekeeper from Minnesota

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dgrc, Apr 29, 2015.

1. dgrc

dgrc New Member

My wife and I are first year-beekeepers with one hive tucked discretely away in our back yard in a Twin Cities MN suburb. I took the U of M extension course in beginning beekeeping in early March and was lucky enough to buy a 3 pound package when a local supplier had an order cancelled.

The colony has been installed for about a week and a half and seems to be doing well -- as best I can tell as a rookie. I did my first hive inspection a week after installing. They were drinking sugar syrup and chomping pollen patty. There was some comb being laid down on foundation and lots of eggs in a central frame.

With decent weather this week, there has been lots of activity. I see about 1 bee in 10 entering the hive body with pollen. I hope the rest are bringing in nectar.

Beekeeping has been a "bucket list" sort of thing for more than 30 years. The first week and a half has been all I hoped for and a good deal more.

Looking forward to participating in this forum and learning from the wisdom of this crowd.

-Don

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome dgrc to the forum, just ask questions when thing come up and we will try to answer.

‚ÄčKen

3. dgrc

dgrc New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

First question: When do I switch the entrance reducer from small hole to large? At the peak of their activity, there's a real traffic jam. On the other hand, it's a very young colony; I don't want to do anything that might expose it to harm.

4. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Welcome! :hi:

You will get lots of answers here. And, they are all informed and reasonable.

IMO, 2 weeks out, about 3" opening would be fine; the girls should be settled in and feeling at home. You will not have an increase in population for another 3-4 weeks, then you could easily go to 6".

I have trouble with yellow jacket robbing, so I tend to keep entrances smaller, unless I am worried about ventilation (high moisture, high heat, etc). I have noticed that commercial b-keeps with mobile hives keep relatively small entrances to Langstroths.