New beekeeper from the Calif. Bay Area

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bluzervic, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Bluzervic

Bluzervic New Member

Hi all,

I have been watching beekeeping for a while and finally took the plung. Last week I had a friend deliver about 2 pounds of bees with some cone from a meter box swarm. I took what brood cone I could find along with a bit of other good stuff and rubber banded the cone into empty frames. I managed to get 2 frames worth. I then found a nice plump queen, (she was a darker color), and put her and all the bees along with a feeder into 10 frame box.... I had to make an ant proof stand a bit later in the week, however they are looking good and are bringing in the pollen. Hive inspection will be this Saturday when I bring in another NUC full of bees for a second hive.
    I do not expect any honey, but should have a good 40 lbs of honey by the time winter hits for the bees to keep going. If need be, I will feed them. Looking forward to learning everything I can and having fun.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome. Sounds like you are off to a good start

3. Bluzervic

Bluzervic New Member

Just got an additional NUC yesterday. Installed it and popped a feeder on to give them a kick start. Pollen is coming in.
    Then I did my hive inspection on the other hive. Was a bit disappointed on their progress to build out frames but it could be they are just a small colony. Pollen is coming in and everything else looked normal. Will check both hives in a week and keep my eye on things