New beekeeper in West TN

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by knuckledragger, Jun 11, 2011.

1. knuckledragger

knuckledragger New Member

I will be starting with beekeeping next week. I am buying two active hives from a local beekeeper. Frankly, I am clueless. I have read a lot of stuff on the internet, but I have about come to the conclusion that beekeeping is a lot like raising kids. Books can't fully prepare you. You just have to do it. Am I right?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome to our forum (the friendliest IMHO) :mrgreen:
    Congratulations on your new hobby, you will find it addictive yet satisfying!
    You have found this forum and that is a great step forward. There are lots of knowledgeable folks here that are willing to share their experience with you. All you have to do is ask. No such thing as a dumb question. We all started somewhere.
    Will your local beekeeper mentor you cause that is a huge help, having somone right handy when needed?

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum.

As Perry said ask as many questions as you need.

If you have been reading books then you will have a clue about what you are looking at and what steps you might need to take. If you have never been in a hive then you will be amazed at what you can see, hear, feel, taste and smell. Sometimes it can even be overwhelming. Hopefully you have a mentor close by or are close to a bee club to help you get the hands on.

Good luck with your hives and hope to see you around.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""but I have about come to the conclusion that beekeeping is a lot like raising kids.""

Yes, 30,000 at a time. :D

Welcome. I'm sure you will find it is a wonderful hobby, with many ups and downs, but the ups will always outweigh the downs.

5. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Hello knuckledragger and welcome aboard,they help the clueless here no worries,I've learned quite a bit in the little time I've been on the forum.

6. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

WELCOME !! Glad to have you with us. You'll enjoy yourelf here.
    LtlWilli