New beekeeper, Newer to this group

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Daniel Y, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Just stopping by to say hello, Some may know me from other beekeeping groups under the same username. I got pointed in the direction of this group buy a member of another when the topic of finding less issue burdened places to chat came up.
    I look forward to getting to know this group.

I am new to beekeeping of my own hives as of this year. I started my first last may 14th and it loos like I may actually get honey from my first year hive. As of yesterday they have two deep bodies full of brood and honey one deep is completely honey, and they have finally started drawing comb in their first super. around here we still ahve alfalfa and even later sagebrush that will come into bloom. in the mean time my bees have foudn enough of something to fill a deep with honey in two weeks.

So for now things are looking good. I know enough to not expect that to stay that way forever.

I also have a top bar hive that was started about 4 weeks after the lang. I placed a swarm in it and am just happy to observe how they progress. not expecting much from them not even sure I can get them through the winter. it is interesting though.

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Welcome.

Walt

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :) You've found the friendliest forum on the internet!

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Rest assured, you're not the only one on this forum who posts on others too.:eek:
    You're still just as welcome as could be. Glad you've joined us. :grin:

6. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome Daniel, hope you like it here where vanity is low, and bee obsession is high:grin:

7. bee whisperer

bee whisperer New Member

Could anyone point me in a direction as to how to switch/move a warre hive to an 8 or 10-frame hive. I built the warre and put bees in it last spring, it wintered really well, but I've found it more difficult to inspect and work. I want to stick with 8-frame hives, as I know them better, and the honey is easire to extract. It has been fun building it and working it, but have decided to stick with one style.
    Thanks

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum Daniel, you were led in the right direction for the friendliest forum with lots of good folks and advice.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hi Daniel, and like the rest, glad you discovered us!
    We have a couple TBH keeps here as well. Adam Foster Collins has both TBH and 8 frame Langs as well.
    P.S. I didn't know they had winter in Nevada. :lol:

Bee Whisperer, Hello to you too!
    I am not up on Warre hives but I am sure someone here will be able to steer you right.
    If you get a chance, introduce yourself on our welcome thread, and possibly post this question in the general beekeeping part of the forum where it will be seen more readily.
    Glad you found us. :thumbsup:

10. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome Daniel Y, glad you found us, agreat place to learn about bees.

kebee

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

HOWDY from Texas.

12. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Wellcome:thumbsup:

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I got pointed in the direction of this group buy a member of another when the topic of finding less issue burdened places"

hi daniel :wave:and welcome to the forum, you will like it here and you won't find it to be 'issue burdened' :grin:

15. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Amazing welcome folks, I think I have found a new home.
    Bee whisperer, Sorry I can't help you at the moment with the Warre transfer. I was facing the same question with moving a split from a lang to a TBH until I got a call about a swarm.

To be honest I would probably just start another colony in the lang and let the warre run it's course. I would think that eventually that colony will die out. In the mean time it could be a source to help get your other hives through rough patches. Just a suggestion as an alternative to trying to break it down and transfer it. Otherwise you might want to treat it like a cut out and read up some on how that is done.

16. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member