New Beekeepers School

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jan 16, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Our bee club is having our beekeeping school for the next 4 tuesday's starting 1/18/11 from 6:30 to 9:00. I go to help and talk to the people who want to keep bees,that is if our no good for nothing club president don't start picking on me. :roll: He will tell new members what you shouldn't do or try to do with bees, and then say ask Jack he's done that. :mrgreen: Jack
    PS. I usually learn more than i give,new people can ask some hard questions. :confused:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ours started Thurs. night. We have about 35 in this years class. Yes, the students will make you do your research.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Exactly thats what I like to hear. I try to encourage new keeps to ask questions and also give answers on the forum. We all learn form them and its usually the new keeps that think outside the hive. They see a hive at a different angle than someone that has fallen into the normal we do it that way because we been doing it that way since time began. Why i dont know its just what I was told to do. :thumbsup:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Funny how newbees can ask questions that were never thought of and it leaves you scratching your head.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Or scratching in your books.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I try to stay with the grown ups :thumbsup: ,those little kids can ask questions that can leave you standing there with a stupid look on your face. :shock: Jack

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Where is the king bee at?

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the really young'ens are just way too honest. like the one that came up to me, pointed at my head and said... 'you have bad teeth'.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Tecumseh, :rolling: :rotfl: somedays you just slay me.

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I was showing my observation hive and telling about bees at my daughters 2nd grade class. I explained how workers could take a fresh layed egg and make a queen, worker or a drone (the daddy bee), out of it. I explained that the drone is bigger than the worker bee and does not have a stinger and can't sting you."Well" one little egg head ask, how do the workers tell the egg to leave the stinger off the daddy bee :confused: . Then anotherone said, daddy is supposed to protect his wife and kids,if he is bigger than they are why don't they put a stinger on him so he can keep them safe. :shock: I won't get into the poop questions, like where do they poop and how long can they hold it if they can't go outside for a long time :confused: . Yep, i'm staying with the adult crowed, they just want to know where to buy bees and how much it's going to cost. :lol: Jack

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

We had a great turnout for our first school night, 95 people attended. Sixty five were new people and several joined the club (don't know how many they were still joining after the meeting) Makes you feel good to see that many people intrested in bees. :thumbsup: Jack

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That was a great turn out, and 65 of them newbees WOW!! Just wonder how many will follow the bees the rest of their life or do it for a year or two then let it slide by the wayside.

13. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Jack I have one of your newkeeps who contacted me asking if I sell caught swarms. I kindly replied back that depended on how many I caught. Last year only had two calls and used both of those to replace my deadouts. But I took contact information in case I have way more swarm calls than I know what to do with.

Charla

14. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Wow, that is so cool to hear about all the interest in beekeeping. I think that even if some of these people don't keep bees, they are more likely to be sympathetic to a neighbor who does.

A neighbor, who already has chickens, told me that she had posted on her Facebook page that she was planning to get a hive and she got so many protests from the neighbors, she decided against it.

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Charla, we have a couple of old timers in our club that catch swarms in the spring and sell them when they get established in the hive.We will let new beekeepers know where the can buy package bees,nuc's, hives, and swarms at the end of our school.One of those old timers is a snowbird and won't be back till March. :mrgreen: Jack

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

milapostal writes:
    A neighbor, who already has chickens, told me that she had posted on her Facebook page that she was planning to get a hive and she got so many protests from the neighbors, she decided against it.

tecumseh:
    there was a lady (lawyer I think) at the most recent North American Bee Keeping convention who spoke about keeping of bees on the San Francisco Bay Peninsula. Quite informative at several levels. Spoke directly to the laws that established the keeping of bees as being quite legal in the city. Had some really cool 3D thermo maps that at least suggested to me that there were likely place in the Peninsula that would be desirable for keeping bees and some places that would like not be desirable. When she told us what she was selling her honey for (all sold within the neighborhood) I can see why some folks might be encouraged to keep bees.

17. milapostol

milapostol New Member

I wish there were a more uniform regulations concerning bees. We had a bit of a sticky problem with our city here in the eastern side of the SF Bay Area, but it's ok now.

We also found a possible place for us to sell out honey too, so things are coming together.

Do you know the name of this lady? I wonder if there is a youtube video with her talk.

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

not certain if I still have a program. she gave a talk for the 'sideliners' (you know us insignificant small fries). Larry Conner's pretty much ran the show. you might still be able to get a copy of the program from the ABF web site. I might do some clean up here today and if I run across the program forward you her name. I don't think anyone was video recording the talks.

19. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Thanks, tecumseh. That would be helpful. It 's always good to have examples of what other cities are doing to help back one's point up.

20. Zulu

Zulu Member

Our first meeting was last Thursday, and boy was I surprised how many turned out, must have been 70-80 people there, met two people I know as well. One is a woodworker too and his kids are at school with mine. He Lives around the corner from our President, and walks past regularly, which is why he came to the meeting. My son came too as there was no school Friday, and he amazed me in that he didn't read his book , but paid attention the whole time .

I guess Iddee got him bugged with our chat week before.