New boxes that I'm building. ned help w/handles

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yankee11, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Changed my box design to the box joint corners.

Does anyone have a good way of cutting the handles. I would like to use my table saw to do it. And I would like to do it without the boxes being put together. I want to store the plankes and put togther or sell as needed.

Heres is my first cuts of the new boxes.

2012-07-21_18-40-53_28.jpg 2012-07-21_18-41-09_258.jpg 2012-07-21_19-33-59_595.jpg

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Very nice! :thumbsup:

I can't find the thread but Zulu has a nice jig for cutting hand holds on his tablesaw. I just put on the biggest set of dado blades to make mine.
    (Picture just shows a regular blade)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. pturley

pturley New Member

I just used a 1/2" router bit with a heavy chamfer and a simple plywood template. The resulting handles are only about 1/4" deep into the boards and are finger tip grips just at palm length from the upper lip of the box.

[​IMG]

Though this seems to work quite well, I may open the template up another half to full diameter wider to make a bit larger recess.

Otherwise, most table saw methods I've seen involve using a sloped guide to feed the boards into the side of the saw kerf. If you haven't tried this before, it's a treat... (wear your ear-plugs to be sure!)

One tip to improve your boxes. Try to cut your stock to keep the knot holes at least an inch or two away from your finger joint ends. It will cost you a bit of time and some scrap board stock, but the resulting boxes will go together much better and likely last longer as there always seems to be gaps and cracks surrounding these knots. Prior to assembly I try to go over each board and glue the knot hole cores in place and fill these gaps with Tite-bond III.

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I made a small frame jig (looks like a picture frame without the glass) and clamp it centered on the sides and run the router inside the frame. I measured the length and height of frame according to how big I wanted my handle.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

[video=youtube;eaWRjpJ5f0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaWRjpJ5f0w[/video]

don't get no easier!!

7. mdunc

mdunc New Member

yep....this is the way I do mine.

8. rail

rail New Member

I use; Craftsman moulding cutter and Corob Cutters with the table saw.

[​IMG]

9. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I make mine like G3farms. Once you get the jig made, it's a breeze.

10. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I put cleats on mine. full length 1x2 on the long side. I find that way easier to hold on to than the little handle notches. The down side is that dirt can accumulate there, but my hive is in the shed anyway.

11. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

This looks interesting. Do you have any pictures of you hand holds.

12. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

I made my boxes out of 12 inch material, so the cleats were just the strips that I ripped off to get the proper depth. It seemed like the fastest thing to do, a bit of gorilla glue and three brads. deep lang.jpg