New brood box and foundation frames, super on or super off?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Kevin, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Kevin

Kevin New Member

So, I have added another brood box, moved some frames up and filled all the gaps with foundation frames -ten of them. A few weeks ago i harvested the super and returned it, I see they are filling it up again, should I leave it on or remove it ? Which will result in the foundation being drawn faster?

2. Lburou

Lburou Member

Kevin, I don't know what I would do in your case without knowing more about your winter, how soon it comes, or having a look in your hives.....But, in my view, the bees know what to do. You need to keep an observant eye on them, providing a safe, dry home, and expanding it when they are ready for more space. The bees will build comb when they need it and there is a honey flow. Keep adding supers when existing supers are 70-80% filled, and they will show you what is best. HTH :)

How much honey will they need over winter after the honey flow stops? Be sure to leave enough! :)

3. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Maybe my question is not that clear. I have 5 months left of summer and my bees still feed a bit in winter. I have added 10 new frames of foundation between my brood frames and another brood box. I have an empty drawn super on too. My question is, would me taking the super off force the bees to draw the foundation to store honey and expand the brood?

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I think this has been posted before, but just in case, rule of thumb is to add a super after the brood box is 70% or 80% full. In answer to your question, Yes.

Walt

5. Lburou

Lburou Member

FWIW, I agree with Walt. :)