New CCD study

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Iddee, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Imidacloprid, one of the most widely used pesticides, has been named as the likely culprit in the sharp worldwide decline in honey bee colonies since 2006. Researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health say their new research provides “convincing evidence†of the link between imidacloprid and colony collapse disorder.

http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2012.04.05.17.00.archive.html

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I don't get it. Even when the problem has the light shined on it, there is always someone looking for the switch to turn it off! :doh:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The more I read the "Crop Protection Associations" Chief Executives response the more pi$$ed off I become. It bothered me last night after reading it and it still ticks me off.
    Sounds like something someone I'm related to would say! :doh:

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

From Wiki .......
    Being a neuro toxin , it makes sense when we hear of bees not coming back to the hive....

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

Brand Names

Turfthor, Bithor, Prothor Provado, Merit, Marathon, Admire, Premise, Pre-Empt
    Bayer Advanced Garden Tree and Shrub Insect Control - sold as soil drench at Lowes and Home Despot

Animal Flea control Advantage

Advantix also in Veterinary medicine

It causes thinning of eggs in certain bird species .... sounds like another DDT

Lots of scary information in this article
    http://www.apiservices.com/intoxications/imidacloprid.pdf

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Big money always has a heavy hand on the light switch.

7. rast

rast New Member

My question is how do we (and I don't mean just on this forum either) impose enough clout to fight it?

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

There were petitions going around last year and the year before. I signed all of them. Fortunately I live in ranch country and my neighbors are happy if their weeds vaguely resemble a lawn. I use a little scotts bonus S every few years if the nettles get too out of hand in the st augustine. I'm the hard-hitter for chemical use. I've been educating the former landscaper about bees, and he doesn't want to have to go buy his own bees, for his garden, so he's amenable.