New control for varroa?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Sep 20, 2009.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I see that NOD apiary has introduced a new Mite Away Quick Strip at Apimondia. It is a strip that releases formic and has some major advantages. 7 day treatment total, just lay them on the top bars, compostable-remove after seven days or just let the bees do it. 95 % effective at killing mites including those in capped cells, good to temps of 33 ( 92 F ) and leaves no residues so can be applied during a honey flow. :drinks:
    If these claims are true and as tests are being finished (they hope to have available in Canada and the U.S.A. for spring of 2010) I would say this will be a valuable aid in the battle against these buggers.
    This information can be seen in Beeculture.com under catch the buzz archives.

Perry

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

New control??? Seems like all the controls up to this point have had little impact of actually controlling anything. I went a chem free route of using other managment strategies, and have far less loss than all the beekeeper using the current "controls" on the market today. And I put money that the same will continue regardless of the next new "control" on the market...

Varroa has been around 20 years now. One product after another has come an gone. It's a treadmill approach creating the next new product in some attempt to deal with the issue. And after 20 years of the same vicious cycle of beekeepers relying on a treatment to deal with the issue, I can not see how anyone can get excited about the next new product. Some of the people using the acid treatments are some of the very same beekeepers who seem to have severe hive loss around here. Go figuire.... :roll:

So if formic is failing beekeepers as it is, those being the "Lets wait till the end of the summer and treat with formic", why would the same beekeepers get all excited about the same product wrapped in a different product wrapping. :confused:

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Sounds like a clever new marketing approach to an old product. I beleive ??? formic has been around for quite some time as a remedy... I seem to recall mrax mention this product some twenty years ago in one of his many articles in the journal.

It would seem that some folks are a bit confused about the long term vs the short term effect of the various product and seem to believe that all are identical. By this logic powdered sugar is exactly equivalent to a chlorinated hydrocarbon. reasonable/logically any product or device (say screened bottom boards for example) designed by man to counter varroa will mask any genetic/breeding program's approach to attacking the problem.

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Different package approch for a dollar charge ajustment way I see it. Biggest problem around here is getting the people to follow the directions on the lables.

:D Al