New Coronation???

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ablanton, Jun 9, 2012.

1. ablanton

ablanton New Member

So, I am going through my hive today and see something suspicious on a bottom bar in the top deep :???:. It looks like something I've heard about and seen photos of, but never seen for myself. I thinks to myself, I'll break it off and snap a photo. The guys on the forum can help me figure it out...

IMAG0136.jpg

Things are looking great, the girls are happy, lots of eggs larvae, and capped brood. I get into the bottom box, starting at frame #10 and when I get to #8, I find MORE strange sights...

IMAG0130.jpg

Ok, so I'm getting a little nervous now :confused:. Didn't see the lady in the top box and I had been looking pretty hard. Started looking for the lady in the bottom box. Half-way through, I still haven't seen her. Then... I hear this piping sound coming from an area around frames #2 & #3. I move on down there and what do I find? A queen, of course, but ... SHE AIN'T THE ONE I BOUGHT! No yellow "beauty" mark! :eek:

IMAG0133.jpg IMAG0134.jpg

Well, I've been in the hive a pretty long time by this point and I decide it's time to close it up. If the old girl is still in there somewhere, she's got to fend for herself. I get back inside to review my photos and see this one ...
    IMAG0127.jpg

I don't remember if it's the same queen and I just happened to catch her on an open cell, or if I was taking a photo of another open cell and just didn't notice her at the time!

So now somebody help me with the confusion... They look like swarm cells because they were all on bottom bars. But why??? There is plenty of room in that hive. You can even see the crimp wire in one of the photos where that frame isn't drawn out, yet. There are also open cells with eggs and open cells that have hatched and not been re-filled, yet. What is going on? My fear now is that the hive will swarm. :dontknow:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Looks like a normal supercedure to me. Happens on a large percentage of newly installed hives with a queen that is not the mother of the workers.

Swarm cells will most times come 5, 10, 15 or more in a hive.

3. ablanton

ablanton New Member

So did the new queen kill the old one? Or will she? I've gone into this hive about once per week and have not noticed any decline in egg-laying. Either the old one is still in there somewhere, or the new one has picked right up already.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  4. ablanton

ablanton New Member

She did look rather fat & healthy. Does she look mated already? I can't tell the difference. I just know she is prettier than the one that came with the package.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Thats exactly why you should mark your queens to know when there is a changing of the guard or in this case queens. As to if the new queen has mated--within 1 - 2 weeks after emerging.

Barry

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good advice.
    Gotta say though, those are some nice pics! :thumbsup:
    This perfectly illustrates how pictures can sooooooo help with the diagnosis of a problem or answer a question.
    Well done.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

andy said:
    "They look like swarm cells because they were all on bottom bars. But why???"

queen cell identification

"I hear this piping sound"

more than likely you have more than one queen in a hive when piping is heard. the reigning queen will most likely be a much better queen than the one you purchased. nice pictures:grin: