new entrance?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by milapostol, Aug 15, 2011.

1. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Hi Everyone,
    One of our hives craftily started using a hole on the edge of a hive box, and have seemed to expanded it. They are now using it as the main entrance to the hive. The problem is, we are constantly dodging them because the hole is in the back of the hive, and we are walking in their flight path.

We would like to reverse this hive body, but barring that because of the age of this hive body, we thinking of drilling a hole in another hive body. Best placement and size of hole? Any suggestions?

Many thanks :wave:

Attached Files:

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

just plug the hole they will go back to using the front after a day or 2 or drill a hole in the front for them. Either way it might not get you out of there flight path if they are exiting the hole and flying away from the hive. they are still going to go the same direction exiting the hive if they have locked onto a foraging area

3. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

yup.....looks like a job for duct tape if i ever saw one.....being me....id probly cut the top an bottom off a mountian dew can an slice it down the side an tack it on....call em my little pepsie products :)

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some commercial folks drill extra access holes about 3/4" to 1" round just below the hand holds. for a temporary repair duct tape (as 2kooldad suggest... it is a bee keepers first line of repair for EVERYTHING don't you know???) or just stuff a rag in there.

ps... this failure at the rabbet is quite common. I like to reinforce this predicatable weak spot with cleats flush with the top of the box (front and back). this not only reinforces this weak spot in the wood joinery but allows a flat surface for me to tip the upper boxes without really separating the boxes completely for quick inspections. this modification (on all my boxes) works best when you also use flat migratory type covers.

5. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Thanks for all the replies.

They probably will fly that direction, but that hive hole is low. It would be nice if they flew higher. That's how I got that bad sting recently, I was in their flight path admiring the zucchini and one got stuck in my hair.

I'm sorry guys, but I'm female and some of this stuff goes over my head. Any pics so I can see what you are suggesting? Thanks!!! :)

Let the woman jokes roll!!! ;p

6. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

no female jokes from me...i've found the ladys quite capable of doing whatever they want to do....i suggested duct tape as a ''right now'' fix .... That will get them using the front door again...and give you a week or two (or ever how long good duct tape shall hold) to get ready to fix the hive body...Tecumseh and some other beeks can get ya through the repairs...or if the box is that bad maybe its time for a new one.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sometime called a california cleat...

Attached Files:

8. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Thank you for your consideration! And actually I am quite used to it having been, usually, the only woman in the kitchen. Boy, how those guys used to joke around with me!

Anyway, thanks for the pic, tecumseh. That makes it much clearer for me.

And 2kooldad, as for the duct tape, I will try that. Thanks, you guys!

9. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Hey guys,
    One more question about the drilled hole under the hand holds, should I close them up for the winter? Do I have to worry about wind or rain getting in there?

Thanks, thanks, thanks and happy holidays everyone!

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

i would say given the climate at your location I would just leave them alone and Merry Christmas.

ps... if you lived somewhere that had howling snow storms then plugging any crack or hole in the exterior of the hive would definitely have some benefit. to my way of thinking hard blowing cold weather (snow or icy cold rains) is more detrimental to a hive than almost anything else.

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

Tec. Makes good sence....here in Florida i closed mine up though i dont think i had to...the bees in that hive propalized everything around it to where there was just a space for them to get into an out of....i watched them over a few weeks close the gap between the frames...then from the frames to the box till there was one little hole left....they also did the same to the hole in the inner cover an every other crack...i plugged the man made hole with a big ball of wax...same as i always do...except now that its colder they dont seem to be removing it....im sure they will come spring....lol

12. Omie

Omie New Member

Yet another example of why I like this bee forum.

================================
    Entrances- I have 2 5 frame nucs i made up late summer that i put both in a 10 frame deep for the winter, with a plastic divider separating the two colonies. A single BB with each having their own 1" wide entrance a foot apart in front.
    Funny thing is, the stronger nuc colony left their 1" entrance as is and tons of bees going in and out there on warm days. The weaker nuc colony quickly propolized their 1" entrance and reduced it down to about 1/4" hole. Very little traffic coming and going, but I knew they were struggling anyway with a small population. I thought it was very cool how they reduced their single entrance down to 1/4" for guard protection and less heat loss.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Omie replied: "Yet another example of why I like this bee forum." ........................................................
    " I thought it was very cool how they reduced their single entrance down to 1/4" for guard protection and less heat loss."

Sounds like good female common sense to me, can't remember how many times I've been told, "Close the door, you trying to heat the all outdoors?" :mrgreen:

14. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol...Omie...i never saw my girlfriend quit anything an let me do it cause it was hard...if im doing it shes standing there right next to me ready to do battle...she even wants to help me do cutouts after seeing me come home tore up from the floor up...i love that woman :) shes easy to look at too (yowzza)

My bees propelizing the hole shut kinda stumped me...they left the main 2'' floor entrance alone....they left the bee size grove on the frame of the inner cover alone an sealed off the 3'' by 1 1/2'' inner cover access an the 1 1/2 hole in the front of the brood box....its the only colony i have that propolizes anything other than just a little at the ends of the frames an to glue the inner cover down....i have lots of sweetgum trees around to get the propolis makens from...guess they just got the urge :/

15. Omie

Omie New Member

I figure the bees know how much air and wind and such to let in. After all, just imagine if you were living in your home during the early winter and you closed the windows down to keep the drafts out, carefully leaving a couple of cross windows open 1/4" for ventilation....and then some big goofy giant comes along and flings all your windows wide open and nails them that way. Wouldn't you run around gathering up spare blankets and towels and try to stuff them in the big open gaps to keep out the cold wind? Poor bees! lol!

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a 2kool snip:
    the bees in that hive propalized everything around it to where there was just a space for them to get into an out of....i watched them over a few weeks close the gap between the frames...then from the frames to the box till there was one little hole left....they also did the same to the hole in the inner cover an every other crack..

tecumseh:
    nothing real scientific here but I have come to believe that heavy propalizing bees fare a bit better in a number of regards. for example the one's here that don't tolerate the shb seem to also propolize quite extensively.

17. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

lol...im not sure i wanna waste my time trying to figure out why this colony does what it does....but your both right....they didnt do it till it got cooler an they dont tolerate any other insects on their turf...beatles or otherwise....but why just that one colony i wonder...all my queens are from the same frame of eggs :/

18. Omie

Omie New Member

I like bees that seem to know how to take care of themselves.
    Unless we are talking Africanized though....no thanks! :chased:

19. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

naw...these bees only seem to dislike other insects so far....my cat lays on top of the hive...the squirle eats his hickory nuts there when the cats not around...im always picking up after him....the dog lays in front of it all the time when im working in it....i love these bees....i have watched them drag a wheelbug into the hive an kill it then drag it back out an dump it...which is no small feat for honey bees....ive seen them ball a velvet ant an run it off....no death there but to the bees but it didnt make it into the hive....they buzz the ants off with a quick barage from their wings...thats comical to watch...seen em drag caterpillars INTO the nest...im not asking or sure i want to know why (creepy banjo music ensues) an there are no wasps on that side of the house...dont know if that is related or not.....they dont seem to get any small hive beatles ive noticed....just good bees....i will def. Make queens from them....ahem....buy my EHB marked queens (bee inspector answer) :)

20. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Very amusing and educational answers! Thanks for the answer and I'll leave the girls be.