new flow?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ablanton, Jun 14, 2012.

1. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Things seemed to slow down at the beginning of the month, but the last couple of days have been wide open! My girls are up early and out late! Some of the strongest activity I've seen in weeks!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Correct. The bees were covering the hummingbird feders a week or so ago. Not one around them now. Several things are blooming.

Clover, sourwood, vitex, sumac, magnolia, just to name a few.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I bought a Crepe Myrtle yesterday to put out. I don't know if the bees will like it or not, but it has a long blooming time (to the best of my memory) and that's a good thing. I also have some lilac bushes I set out. Interesting how a few bees can change how one views landscaping!

4. ablanton

ablanton New Member

My bees love my white crape myrtles. Pink ones haven't started, yet, so I don't know...

Crapes & magnolias have been blooming around here for about 2 weeks now. My girls have found something new the last couple of days, though. Haven't seen anything like this since I started on March 31. They are coming out of the hive like they've been fired from a slingshot! One right after another!

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

What is the blooming period for a crepe myrtle? I planted one last fall and haven't seen any blooms yet this year. It's been so dry, I am happy it is alive. They are borderline hardy here, but I found one that is supposed to do well in this part of the country.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have been told that bees go to white crepe myrtles but don't seem to visit the other color varieties. It will be interesting to see if Ablanton does or does not observe this preference.

7. Tia

Tia New Member

That's what's so lovely about living here on the coast. . .especially Down East. Our nectar flow started early and hasn't stopped. Besides the plants Iddee mentioned, we've got the marsh across the street. Don't know what the heck is out there, but the girls bring in some of their most delicious honey from that marsh.

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I am going to get a white one today if i can find one. Then i can compare.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

9. jim314

jim314 New Member

I have white, red and purple crepe myrtles. They do seem to prefer the white over the other colors, but they will visit all of them. There were bees on the red today that were just starting to bloom. Last year during the drought they visited all of them. The year before when I didn't have bees, the trees were alive with bees feeding on aphid droppings. You could walk under the tree and the buzz was like outside a hive during a flow. I'm hoping that the rain we have had this year will produce a good aphid crop. (Don't know if aphid droppings make a good honey or not LOL). The crepe myrtles will bloom all summer.

And there does seem to be another flow on. Last week they had slowed down a lot, but the last couple of days have been very busy again. What a difference a year with rain makes.

Jim

10. ablanton

ablanton New Member

It depends a lot on the weather. My white ones are in their third week and are still going strong. I'm beginning to wonder if my pink ones are going to bloom at all. I still haven't seen so much as a bud on them. Of course, they don't usually bloom until July, anyway. I just expected them to be early like everything else.

11. jim314

jim314 New Member

Mine start blooming at different times. The white ones don't even have buds yet, but by July will be in full bloom. I don't know why there is a difference.

12. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Well, Lowe's and several nurseries didn't have white. I guess they're not fashionable this year. :(

But I'm also putting out a rose bush to see if they like it, too.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks Jim for that post #9 and your observation. I have heard the color variation reported but it is good to hear first hand observation. the subject is not purely academic to me since I have one yard with a commercial container nursery close by with rows and rows of crepe myrtles in very large containers and all on some kind of drip irrigation system.

14. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Have several varieties of rose bushes and haven't seen the bees visit those. They do visit my rose of sharon frequently but not as much as the bumbles do.
    My 4 evodia trees should bloom in 2-3 more years!

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

My wife's son is going to culinary school in California. He said he recently visited a big greenhouse nursery place. In each greenhouse they had a beehive so that the honey would be strictly from what they had growing in there. He said the rose honey was out of this world. That sounds like a great idea, but it also sounds like it would take a lot of big greenhouses.

16. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I always understood honey bees can't be kept in greenhouses !
    They keep going to the peak trying to escape, course this info was from old books.

Murrell

17. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I only know what I'm told.

18. jim314

jim314 New Member

I bet rose honey would be good. My wife has over 30 rose bushes of different varieties and I've seen one bee on them in 2 years. It was gathering pollen. I do see mason bees on them periodically, but not honey bees.

19. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

We actually received a significant amount of rain two nights ago. My one year crepe myrtle, which had not shown any growth, is covered in bright red foliage on the tips of the branches. It's not blooms, but colorful. Watering just isn't the same as a good rain.

20. ablanton

ablanton New Member

Well, I was beginning to wonder if my pink crapes were going to bloom at all this year. They have finally started over the last week. I have seen a few bees visiting them, but they don't seem to be as attractive as the white ones. They are still not in full bloom, so the traffic may pick up a little more next week.