New Forum Labels

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Charles, Jun 21, 2011.

Do you like the new Member Ranks?

1. Yes

10.0%
  2. No

35.0%
  3. Don't Care

55.0%
  1. Charles

Charles New Member

We thought it might be fun to have rank levels based on posts. If you look below your name you'll see your rank. It's strictly based on number of posts, lots of forums have these and we thought it might be fun to have them here.

Here's the rank and number of posts for each:

New Bee 0-50
    House Bee 51-500
    Forager 501-1000
    Beekeeper 1001-5000
    Journeyman beekeeper 5001-10,000
    Beekeeping Master 10,001-up

What I would like to do is put it up for a vote to see if the labels stay. Put in your vote! Your decisions help form the look and feel of the forum...

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

The number of posts has nothing to do w/ whether one is a Newbee or anything, outside of this Forum. I don't know what it matters. What is trying to be shown. It doesn't tell anything about what one knows or has experience w/.

Maybe it would be just as good a thing, if not better, if ones' years as a beekeeper were shown.

What about the 10,000 some posts that I have on another Forum? Can I transfer them here? Would that make me a Master Beekeeping Master?

As you can tell, I feel there are flaws. But, ultimately, unless one believes that volume of Posts means something, it doesn't matter all that much and most people won't notice the number unless they look for it.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I understand what Mark is saying, the rank does not necessarily reflect the actual beekeeping experience, but if folks find a bit of fun and novelty with it, what the heck, I'm in. The only thing I might suggest would be a term other than "New Bee". I don't know why, but I find the term somehow demeaning. Just my opinion. (Then again, it may get new folks posting more to move up a rank :lol: )
    I know I have mentioned it before, but I would find gender status a little more helpful so that I don't embarass myself anymore than usual when I inadvertantly refer to someone incorrectly.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I don't much care for labels that are suppose to convey some kind of status and as I think Mark suggest the number of post often times means very little and at least on some boards seems to generate a certain amount of envy and unfruitful personal competition. Just my two cents.

5. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I've been commented on because someone thought that since I had so many Posts I should have known something or acted in a different way. So, it onlt really shows that I Post alot, on some Forums. I'm sure a Psychiatrist could devine some other meaning from the number of Posts I make.

So, PerryBee, what is your Gender? :)

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

O-->

Dang, don't know how to post them symbols using the keyboard. :lol:

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I have reservations about labels and status symbols, post count etc. This is not to hide that I am green as the grass in regard to bees; along the lines of what tecumseh said, I have seen such things practically trash a forum.

I like the atmosphere of this forum and don't think it needs any "cutesy gadgets". If it aint broke, dont fix it! That said, I have certainly been accused of getting old and cranky! Imagine that!

Keep up the good work!

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks like you need about another 1/2 of the little blue pill :lol: :lol:

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: How about O------------------> ? :lol:

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Better be careful here, the mods might frown on this. :lol:

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The mods will only frown if you don't vote. The members run this forum. The mods only police it.

And not much of that needed. We feel like the Maytag repair man, but not as busy.

12. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Boys boys boys. :) I don't care one way or another.

13. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I agree with tecumseh and sqkcrk 100%.IMHO I think if you're going to label something(or someone)at least let it be an accurate label.I could post a 1000 posts about anything other than beekeeping in other categories(ie: the Lighter Side,your favorite recipes,general gardening,the Rural Life)here on the forum other than beekeeping and according to my label I'm a "beekeeper".Sorry I don't see where it is necessary to incorporate labeling into the forum.

Personally I like like the laid back type forum that doesn't have a need to label it's members in anyway except friend.

14. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Know me by my Posts.

Hmmm, maybe that isn't such a good idea. Too bad you can't know me any other way. I'm an acquired taste. Right iddee? Right tecumseh?

30 years a beekeeper, never a beek.

If only 12 members voted on this and it is a tie w/ 2 Don't Cares, seems like a Moot Point. Not worth doing. imo

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The only reason it isn't gone yet is Charles said in the op the poll would run through the 28th. at 10:33 PM. If there's not a big change before then, it will be gone.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Mark, there's always a plate for you at my table. We just like to add something to the forum now and then. Some things will be accepted, some won't. We won't add anything that can't be taken away. Ultimately, the members will decide what stays and what goes.

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Ultimately, the members will decide what stays and what goes."

THAT'S what I like about this place! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

18. Charles

Charles New Member

What Iddee and Perry said...I'm a firm believer in the membership deciding what stays and what goes. We have 50 or so that come here on a daily basis. Let's get some more votes!

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

we are all just visitors here, I was lucky enough to be invited...........thanks Iddee!

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

And what th' heck would it be if there weren't any visitors?

They are what makes this place.