New from Ohio

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by beeguy, Mar 30, 2014.

1. beeguy

beeguy New Member

Hello everyone,

Glad to have found this forum...just wish I had found it sooner. I started out beekeeping in the Dayton Ohio area in the year 2000 under the mentorship of a 40-yr beekeeper in the area. It's been quite a learning experience, particularly since (probably due to my inept management) my bees have pretty much thrown every problem not in the book at me in the last 14 years. It's even had our local expert scratching his head saying "What is up with your bees?" Either that or the package companies send me all the "free thinkers." :)

Like everyone else, I've been stung a couple times over the years, but each time it got worse. So now I've developed a borderline anaphylactic reaction and carry an Epi-Pen around with me. Unfortunately I'm probably going to have to get out, as nobody else wants to take over.

It's been fun though, and I'm hoping that with my 14 years of experience I can offer some occasional help to folks here.

S. Weaver

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome beeguy to the forum, and yes we appreciate anyone here that can give good advise, hope to see around a lot.

‚ÄčKen

3. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

5. cheezer32

cheezer32 New Member

I'm sure your help here with be appreciated here, you don't keep bees for 14 years and not learn anything! They teach you everyday.

6. beeguy

beeguy New Member

I wish the sting allergy would go away, but from what I've heard, you don't get desensitized. I hope I'm wrong.

The doctor and the beekeepers I know say that if you follow the trajectory that I did (from no problem to borderline anaphylactic), then it only gets worse, not better. The body has decided to react this way and there's no convincing it otherwise.

I'll read through the thread linked to above...sounds interesting.

7. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

:rolling: Welcome! 14 years! Finally, somebody who has made more mistakes than I have!

8. beeguy

beeguy New Member

Heh....didn't expect to start getting post notifications on this thread again. :)

I think post #7 is spam.