New guy from Illinois

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Newbkeeper23, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Newbkeeper23

Newbkeeper23 New Member

Hello, just joined this group like an hour ago. I'm just getting started in bee keeping for my garden and from the honey, wax, etc. But im torn between the ways to do a hive. In your honest opinion should i do the regular stacked on top boxes with the frames or should i do the one where its just the small wood planks and its on a V shape trough. Just put a reply in hope i can get good opinions (ALSO, im going to make either one i choose its going to be homemade i dont have the money for the high priced stuff.) :yahoo:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I recommend starting with the boxes stacked. "Langstroth"
    Then expand into the alternative hives after a couple years experience. It will be easier to get questions answered and assistance with the Langstroth set up.

PS. Take note of the banner on the front page and read the link. We move tomorrow.

PPS. Welcome... Hope you like it here.

3. Newbkeeper23

Newbkeeper23 New Member

Thanks i will try to find my way over there.

4. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

Welcome :wave: I agree with starting with the Langstroths also, if you can swing the cost.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I vote for Langs also with wood frames and wax foundation. Even better would be to get a nuc to start off with.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

....oh yeah welcome to the forum :hi:

8. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome to the forum, voting for the langs :thumbsup:

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Greetings and welcome.
    I vote for langstroths --by default. I have no experience with any other kind of hives, so my opinion really isn't worth much.

10. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Welcome to the best beekeeping forum on the net! You will learn volumes here.
    I vote for Langstroth. Hive bodies, top boards and bottom boards are pretty easy to make yourself, you can buy frames and foundation pretty cheap too. Many things you can improvise without spending an arm and a leg, you just have to be creative sometimes.
    Good luck!

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome :hi:

I would go with Langstroth for all the reasons listed above. There is a bit of a learning curve in the beginning and better to stick with the most common method. There will be plenty of time to expand your horizons after a year or two under your belt.
    Ask plenty of questions, we enjoy answering them. :mrgreen:

12. Newbkeeper23

Newbkeeper23 New Member

THanks Langstroth it is!!

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Now that you've made your decision, :thumbsup: a bit of advice: Since you're planning on making the hive parts yourself (I'm all in favor of that), make sure your measurements are exact--not only so that the supers will fit and sit exactly on one another, but so that the frames hang properly and leave the right sized bee-spaces, not to wide (they'll build combs in big spaces) and not too small (they'll seal them up and make moving the frames really difficult). ;)

14. kebee

kebee Active Member

Newbkeeper23, Welcome to the forums, I am new to beekeeping myself here to learn all I can before I get my hive of bees in April.

Kebee