New Guy With Hive Painting Question.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverwalker76, Sep 20, 2010.

1. riverwalker76

riverwalker76 New Member

I have already purchased my hives, and will be assembling them this winter during the cold months. I like to plan ahead, so even though I will not be painting my hives until January I still want to know what to use.

I am a Novice Woodworker and have a lot of finishes at my disposal. I thought about possibly finishing my hives in either White Real Milk Paint or 100% Tung Oil. Of course, I want to go as close to 'organic' as possible to ensure my bees aren't exposed to VOCs. I don't want to be exposed to VOCs, and I don't want my bees to be exposed to them either. ;)

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I think most folks use whatever is inexpensive and readily available. I use a white latex from a discount store: "discount" for being inexpensive and "white" because the hives are visible from the road and it adds a bit of a traditional feel.

This thread has several opinions and ideas regarding finishing:

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2157

Walt

3. jonnybee

jonnybee New Member

I know many people have the hives dipped in wax. i think it works pretty good and that is how the majority of my boss' hives are.

4. Ducks®™

Ducks®™ New Member

Walt, I read so much and your a sweet heart,, this too again helped.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have painted hives but currently I am using a cold dip (well actually slightly heated) combination of paint thinner, pariffin and just a splash of exterior stain (primarily to add a bit of color to the mix). which is of course the very VOC that you suggest you would like to avoid.

tung oil would be fine I would think. allowing some additional absorption into the end grain of the boxes is extremely important.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Just me but if I was using the tung oil (which would look good and bring out the grain of the wood) I would not oil the inside of the hives.

I am like walt and most others, I use use white latex paint, mismatch on the sale lane is best :mrgreen:

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

for my deeps i use a waterbase, solid color white weatherproofing wood stain. for my supers, i use mixmatch or goof latex colors
    from the discount shelves of the local building, hardware and paint stores. if i have new equipment or obtain equipment that needs repair, i use a water base primer underneath, and i don't stain or paint any interior parts.

using tung oil would be really cool, i use boiled linseed oil on the exterior of my solar wax melter. just remember you will need to reapply that at some point, and if you have extra equipment to switch out to do it so the smell has time to dissipate, if you don't, well tung oil might not be such a good idea for your girls!

have fun!

8. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I use what ever the wife gets free at yard sales, you name it I've used it, bees keep flying.

People are too lazy to take old paint to the collection center !

Hey if it's free, I'm cheap !

Murrell