New hive & a couple bees walking on ground

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BeepsBees, May 12, 2016.

1. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I installed a package 2 days ago & occasionally I'll see one or 2 bees crawling around on the ground. They look fine, but act disoriented & climb to the top of grass & fall off. I tried putting a spoon of sugar water in front of one, but she didn't drink it. I tried putting one on the ledge near the opening of the hive & she fell off. Their wings look fine. Is this normal or is this an unhealthy package? ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1463053399.099735.jpg

2. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Also, this sounds silly, but I'm aware they kick out drones... I saw a drone on the ground, picked him up to see what happened if I put him back & he what looks like pooped on me. It was a grey spot and lots of liquid. Is that feces or some kind of defense? He wouldn't walk on the ledge to the hive. He is still on the ground. I guess he is done for?

3. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Will this wet drone substance on my gloves bother the bees when I check their hive?

4. camero7

camero7 Member

You will see bees dying all the time. You'll see more as the bees in the package die and are not replaced for about 30 days. Then your population will grow, almost over night. Don't worry about the stuff on your glove. Bees won't notice. Just be slow and deliberate when you're in the hive [please wait about 10 days before you inspect]. I learned a long time ago that inspecting without gloves make a beekeeper take their time and be careful. You may want to try that.

5. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

It's day 3 and the guy that sold me the package wants to look inside to see if queen is released. seems soon. I hope it doesn't bug them too much. What was the drone doing? Was he just coming outside to poop and I ruined his day by picking him up?

6. camero7

camero7 Member

IMO there is no reason to see if she's released. If not they will do it soon. I've seen a few hives ball the queen and kill her when people start messing with the hive. If the queen cage is readily visible no harm probably. The drone was probably kicked out and had been messed with by the bees in the hive. He was not necessary at this time. They'll make more when it's time.

7. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

So we checked yesterday and she wasn't out so he poked holes in the candy so it would be easier for them to get her. He wants me to check her again in only 3 days. I appreciate his help, but as you said I don't want to check them so often yet. I'd like to at least wait a week or 5 days to open the hive again to see if she is laying eggs. I think he wants to check her so often so that if she doesn't work out we can quickly add a new queen? Anyway, I think I'll wait at least a few days longer than just 3 and politely tell him I'd like to wait. He is experienced and has been a big help, but I've read a lot of places not to check so often. Hopefully he doesn't take it as an insult that I wait longer. When would you check her again? Thanks! ( we checked her yesterday on day 3)

8. camero7

camero7 Member

That will be day 6. Not so bad to check them then. I like to wait until day 9 or 10. So don't pull any frames but ok to make sure she's out. I had a couple this year that the queen didn't start laying for a week after she was out... when you do start pulling frames remember that new comb is very fragile and top bars need to be handled very carefully, particularity in the heat, so go very slow and deliberate and make sure you keep the comb straight up and down. Good luck. Seems like you're doing fine so far.

9. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Well, we checked her on day 3, made her easier to get to & im advised to check again in 3 days, which as you said is day 6. So that's ok & not too soon? I thought because I was just in there 3 more days was too soon. Thanks again ! I will just be picking up the frame with her cage hanging on it (TBH). I just don't want them to swarm from me pestering them too much.

10. camero7

camero7 Member

If she's been released take the cage out... it will prevent wonky comb [something that is hard to correct once it starts]. I doubt that they will leave after 6 days. you should be fine.

11. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Thanks so much!! Hey I'm seeing pollen pouches on their legs. Are they packing it in the comb even if she's not laying yet? What are the bees doing that are coming in without pollen? Some have it, some don't.

12. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

When's the best time to open it and get her cage out?

13. camero7

camero7 Member

bees will bring in pollen almost immediately... best time is when it's good for you

14. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

high noon is the best for having all of the workers out foraging. Worst time - when they are coming in, in the evening, tired and grumpy