new hive dying

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by brossate, May 8, 2010.

1. brossate

brossate New Member

Well I was hoping that my first ever post on the forum would not be a cry for help...but it is. I bought four packages of bees on the first of this month and hived them up. Three are doing well and one is a sad disaster.
    -The bees have been dying each day and there are about 10% of them left.
    -The queen is alive but not eaten out of her package.
    -All of the boxes are new and purchased from the same store. As were the bees.
    -The bees are acting irregularly. Spinning around, having difficulty gripping the box components, spinning around on their backs, and dying. They appear to be pain.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

#1... You should have released the queen manually in 3 to 7 days. Do so immediately.

#2... Check in 3 days. If the bees seem to be OK then, switch places with it and another hive. If they are still spinning and dieing, they likely got into some pesticide. Talk to some of your neighbors to see if they are using powdered sevin or similar. Suggest they go to liquid and spray at dusk.

#3... Report back in 3 days.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like a pesticide poisoning to me.

Did you remember to pull the cork out of the candy end of the queen cage?

G3

4. brossate

brossate New Member

I actually forgot to pull the cork on a queen that I purchased 3 weeks ago but checked on it within two days of hiving and pulled it then. whew.

On the hive in question I did pull the cork and now I have released the queen manually as per Iddee's suggestion (thanks). It turns out she is flipping out as well and there are fewer bees today than there were yesterday.

Poison: I'm not committed to this conclusion (because I haven't ruled out everything else) but that is definitely the way I'm leaning. Going down that path here are a few more facts to take into consideration...
    1. The other hives seem unaffected.
    2. The bees began dying on or before the day they were hived.
    3. All of the bees were purchased on the same day.
    4. I'm on a few dozen acres and use zero pesticides. No, my acreage does not spread in a two mile radius centered on the hive location but a) I'm surrounded by pastured cattle and b) the symptoms began during the time in which the bees were just getting there bearings.

Thanks to everyone that has read and those posting. As a newbee darn near all information is new information to me.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

First perhaps a bit more precise location would be beneficial to me.

The first thing I usually consider is natural poisoning which along with pesticides would seem to be excluded for exactly the logical reason you suggest. natural poisons typically doesn't kill but the girls are definitely not feeling well and with pesticides there is usually large numbers of dead on the bottom board.

Was the package treated for nosema by the producer... mating nucs and the syrup which comes with the package should have ALL had fumidil added. the package producer should be able to inform you of this detail.

the condition you describe sounds a bit like Acute Paralysis Syndrone or Paralysis Virus... although I would suspect nosema was a part of the package's demise.

sadly most likely the package in question is done.

7. Omie

Omie New Member

Did you treat your new packages with anything when you got them and hived them?