New hive & rain

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BeepsBees, May 14, 2016.

1. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I just got a package of bees 6 days ago. It rained last night, it will today & it's raining ALL next week. Are they going to be ok? I'm feeding them, but I know they need to forage too. I'm worried about all the rain coming. Thanks

2. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Also, today I was going to see if the queen was out yet, but it will rain at 1:30p today. It's 9a now. Should I wait until tomorrow when the weather is clear for a couple more days or go ahead and check soon? I heard they are grumpy when rain is coming.

3. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Disregard. I opened the hive and released her. She had not yet got out. All is well she is out and they are building good looking Conb

4. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

5. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Beep, one of the hardest lessons I had to learn is that our bees and their ancestors have managed to exist for 120 million years before I came along to help them out. Most of us cause more grief by doing too much, rather than not doing enough. In my imagination, my bees probably breathe a sigh of relief when I go out of town and quit bothering them every few days and they can get some work done.

Yours have feed. They should be able figure out the rain, and how to get the queen released and mated.

6. camero7

camero7 Member

I expect the queen is already mated... bees will be fine in the rain. That was some serious candy in the queen cage. Most queens are released much quicker then that.

7. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

Ya he made the candy too thick & they couldn't get to her. She's finally out. I'm not going to mess with them For 2 weeks at least. I want to check if she's laying and or for cross comb. Thoughts? It's good we checked her again or she wouldn't have been released.

8. BeepsBees

BeepsBees Member

I didn't want to check her again because I figured the same thing, that they shouldn't be bothered so much & she would be out by now. But it's good we looked because they didn't eat her candy cork.