new hives

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by mcribbz, Jul 4, 2015.

1. mcribbz

mcribbz New Member

Hi everyone, I have 2 hives that I bought in the middle of May. I am concerned because they don't seem to be growing the way they should. The gentleman I got them from said they were both swarms that he captured. I got them as a deep a queen excluder and a shallow. I immediately removed the excluder and the shallow. After I did my 2 week inspection I noticed that neither 1 had built any new comb so I started feeding at 1-1 both are going through a jar every 2 days. Now there is new comb being built. They have filled 2 more frames in one hive and only 1 frame in the other. And of the new comb they are storing honey in all of it. As I watch them everyday there are lots of bees coming in with pollen sacks stuffed. My ? is why is the queen not laying in the new comb. Each hive has 4 frames with brood pollen and honey and its like both queens are just using the same frames to lay over and over. I am trying to read and learn what I should do to help them grow. I don't want to lose them over the winter. Should I pick the strongest queen and combine the hives. I'm trying to read and learn I just want to make the correct decision. I have read where other folks have got their hives and already added another deep and a super. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Mike​

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Good question, it sounds like you are doing the right thing. hopefully someone from your area will check in who knows a bit more about average flow dates and average first frost. With feeding and comb to lay in the queen should start laying soon, or I think you will have to do a combine. Just not sure on the timing.

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Just to be clear, your queens are laying, just not in the new comb? Have they got too much room? What's the nectar flow like where you are?

4. camero7

camero7 Member

Put an empty frame in the brood nest, they should fill it out and the queen should lay in it. Keep expanding the brood nest and continue to feed. I believe your flow is pretty light in your area now, if not a dearth.