Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1469149290.298480.jpg

I finally acquired a piece of family land to build on. House should be up next year, after that my little bees will have a home too. I've been looking forward to having my very own hives to care for and enjoy the soft buzz in the air. For now I'm soaking up all the information I can find and this place looks like a good start, any tips and tricks from veteran keepers are welcome. I hope to find a local keeper to show me the ins and outs for some hands on experience before I start my own apiary systems. I plan on making the little field here where I put the hives and plant in flowers all around the edges of it. That way the little creatures can enjoy flowers as well as my fruit trees and garden. It gives me something to look forward to when I have winter blues any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Welcome LadyJinyxx to the forum, we can give better info if we know what part of the country you live in, good luck with the bees and looks like a great place you have there.

​Ken

·
Registered
316 Posts
Welcome! :hi:

My best recs for starting out:

The outline (with live links) from the beginner's course at PCBA: http://cookevillebeekeepers.com/beginners-short-course

and, pick a guru and stick to them until you can improvise on your own. My favorite is Michael Bush: http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm The content for his The Practical Beekeeper​ is all on the site, you just have to work a bit harder.

We will be happy to give you several conflicting answers to every question, usually demonstrating that the bees know best.

·
Registered
720 Posts
guru

If I were going to pick a guru as a new beekeeper, I'd go with Michael Palmer. Lots of his stuff is on youtube. Personally I follow Randy Oliver the closest but draw a lot of information from the commercial beekeepers forum on facebook.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good morning,
I'm sitting here at McDonalds having my usual breakfast. I come here also to use their WiFi because I don't like to get that bill for internet every month. This is my first time using the bee forum since I installed it on my IPad. It appears to be a nice app to have.

As I like to save money I make a lot of my own bee stuff. For example...bee gloves. I got a new pair of leather graden gloves and stitched on a set of sleeves I made on my sewing machine. I used elastic on the elbow end and hand stitched the sleeves onto the gloves. I saved about $20 and enjoyed making them.

I also make my own boxes, frames and pretty much everything else. Since I like to draw I have been sketching a design for an observation beehive. There are many videos of them on YouTube so check them out if interested. I'm thinking of building one by spring. It will be three frames wide and five frames high.

My other hobby is archery. I'm a big fan of Danielle Brown who lives in England. She is a gold medal winner who can no longer compete because she is handicapped and was beating everyone. I guess they did not like a handicapped person beating non-handicapped archers.

Moving on.

Uh....oh yes...bees. I got interested in bees when I was a kid. My uncle and I one day went tin to the country to pick up an old hive. He drove up to the old hive that was located in a field. I helped him lift the hive into the back of the truck. What happened next was the boxes fell apart....bees everywhere. We had also left the truck windows rolled down......

That was a long time ago. Only until three years ago I decided to go back into the bee business...figuratively speaking. My bees didn't make it through the winter last year so I will be getting new ones next year.

Battery is running low......

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome! :hi:

My best recs for starting out:

The outline (with live links) from the beginner's course at PCBA: Beginners Short Course – Cookeville Beekeepers

and, pick a guru and stick to them until you can improvise on your own. My favorite is Michael Bush: The Practical Beekeeper, Beekeeping Naturally, Bush Bees, by Michael Bush The content for his The Practical Beekeeper is all on the site, you just have to work a bit harder.

We will be happy to give you several conflicting answers to every question, usually demonstrating that the bees know best.
Hey I'm in Cookeville!! Too funny!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts