New in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by naylgun, Jan 26, 2016.

1. naylgun

naylgun New Member

Im 20 years old. Hoping to get into bee keeping with a top bar bee hive this spring if the funds allow me. If you have any tips feel free to leave them.

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome to the forum naylgun, have not had a top bar hive but there are others that have that can give some tips on them.

ken

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

if you are doing on the cheap find out how to get on the swarm pickup list for your city, town or county. Get your suit, gloves, smoker, and hive setup together this winter. And then, you wait, whether you order bees or you pick up a local swarm

5. camero7

camero7 Member

My tip is that I was not able to get TB hives to live through the winter. Tried several 2 winters. I gave up.

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

There is no such thing as getting into beekeeping on the cheap. It takes investment to be succesful in both time and supplies. But with that investment will come great rewards. I would sujest starting off with langstroth as they are easier to care for and are more forgiving to beekeeper screw ups and will produce more surplus honey, and winters more succesfuly.