New in NE Ohio

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Spaztck, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Spaztck

Spaztck Member

Hi everyone! I have been thinking about it for years, and finally got my first hive. I got my actual bees on Sunday and all seems well. I have been attending our local county beekeeper club meetings and have learned a lot. I am sure there is and will be a lot more to learn. I have read the book Beekeeping for Dummies, which has been great. I hope to do well this year and hopefully get a second hive next year. I would appreciate any tips and advice, since I am new to this. I did have a robbing situation my very first day! I was using an outside feeder, which is now on the inside of the hive. I am on a dead end street with lots of woods on over an acre of land. I am hoping the bees will help pollinate my garden. It's sad because as a kid we saw honey bees everywhere. This last few years I have been lucky to find one or two flying around.

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Greetings on joining us in the forum Spaztck. :hi:
    At the beginning stages of beekeping, the best advice is probably read, read, and read some more about bees. There are plenty of great books to be had.
    Next bit of advice I would be so bold as to offer would be a suggestion that you move up to two hives as soonas you can. If one hive gets ruined or loses its queen, you are in a major pickle (-out of business). If you've got two hives, you can always use the second to help save the first.

3. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

Welcome. :hi: I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.

Walt

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Welcome!
    WHOOO-HOOOO another buckeye.
    Where are you in the northeast part of the state? I'm southwest of you, between Norwalk and Mansfield.
    I gotta go along with efmesch, consider getting another hive asap rather than next year, not only will you have a frame or 2 from one if needed to prop the other up, but you also have some basis for comparison.
    You have found the friendliest beekeeping forum around. Plenty of knowledgeable folks willing to share, so don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Again, Welcome?

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome Spaztck, glad to have you here on the forum, you can learn a lot here know I have.

kebee

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

greetings and welcome to the forum spaztck!
    don't be shy at asking any questions you may have!
    :grin:

7. Spaztck

Spaztck Member

First question, it is not too late to get another set of bees? I was supposed to get my original Nuc in May, but there were delays and I did not get them until this last Sunday. I ordered them through my local bee club. Where would I get them? I see a lot of places out of Nucs, would it be way too late for a package? I am in Warren, OH - near Youngstown. Thanks for all the welcomes! I am looking forward to learning a lot.

8. jb63

jb63 New Member

Welcome Spaz.:hi:Ask around maybe you can find some one making a swarm prevention nuc.

9. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Welcome to the forum. .:hi:

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

12. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome! If you can get them it is not too late.