New install found brood box not sitting on bottom board

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by danl, Mar 23, 2015.

1. danl

danl New Member

Installed a new package Saturday. I went back today and noticed a gap in back left corner between bottom board and brood box. Bees are flying going in and out. Should I let this go or go back tonight when they are all in and situate the brood chamber on the bottom board tonight? Not sure queen has been released as package has only been installed two days.

2. camero7

camero7 Member

They'll be fine for a while. Some of my boxes are so old they leak and the bees come and go through them rather than the prescribed entrances.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

leave it till the the time you check the queen. disturbing the hive while the queen is being accepted could cause trouble.

4. danl

danl New Member

Ok i did first inspection on both hives Saturday. Found both queens and both have been prolific in drawing comb. Visited on Sunday did not open hives but the one that I let them free seems to have far less activity around it. There are bees coming and going many,brining back pollen. Compared to the other colony its not as active. Should I be concerned ?

5. camero7

camero7 Member

give it a week or so and then check again. although not a sure sign, generally when the foragers are bringing back pollen the hive is queen right.

6. danl

danl New Member

I should note I opened the entrance on the one with the hole on Thursday last week. I did not open the entrance to the more active colony still Saturday