New keeper with bad luck

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by B.Matt, Jul 3, 2011.

1. B.Matt

B.Matt New Member

I'm very new to bee keeping. I started 2 new hives with a Queen and 5 pounds of bees each at first everything looked good, then bees started dieing. With in a week thay were all dead.
    The Guy I got the bees from said someone around must be using seven dust or some sort of insecticide on a garden. the only other thing I thought was the paint I used on the boxes has mold inhibitors (antifungel ) in it.
    Any suggestions I want to try again but don't the same thing to happen.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

we are going to need a bit more information. Did you paint the insides of the boxes. was you feeding the bees if so how much. update your profile to what part of tennesse your in. We have some members in tennessee that may be near you that might be able to help. It very well could be a pesticide problem. Can you tell us where the dead bees located at. Did they pull any comb did you find bees with there heads in the cells dead. Was there ever any brood when you inspected the hive. And oh yes the most important part welcome to the forum couldnt get a more friendly place to stop in and visit. By tomorrow im sure there will be several people chimming in to offer advise.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would like to welcome you to the forum as well, seeing that this was your first post. Like the rat says, a friendlier place you will be hard pressed to find.
    I agree, a little more information would narrow it down. A week seems like a very short time to lose all your bees. Even if you painted the insides of the boxes (something most don't do or recommend) if it had time to dry, I can't see that being the problem.
    Glad to hear you are going to try again, and the suggestion to try and find a mentor is a good one.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum B.Matt :hi:

Where in TN are you at?

Yes a little more info would be of a big help.

5. B.Matt

B.Matt New Member

I did not paint in side. was feeding 5 pounds sugar in 1 gallon water. there were some bees dead on the bottom screen but most were with in 10 feet of the front of the box. thay did draw quite a bit comb but no brood. After three days I checked and the Queens were out and every thing looked fine, then I started seeing dead bees and some just on the ground.
    Thanks so much for the help. It was defiantly discouraging. oh I'm in north central Tn. Fentress County.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like a pesticide poisoning. So the hive was started just a week ago, or took week for them to die out?

7. B.Matt

B.Matt New Member

From time of installing them to no live bees was less than two weeks. Thought I would relocate and maybe try again. But don't know if moving them a few hundred yards would mater. would be a real bummer to have it happen again. But have to much invested to just give up.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Definitely pesticide. Try to find the farmer who is using it and try to teach him how to be bee friendly with it. It can be done.

9. B.Matt

B.Matt New Member

Could someone using pesticides on a garden or flowers do it. I'm in a very wooded rule area. Not a lot of farming but a few gardens around. Can bees detect pesticides on a garden or on flowers.

Thanks to all for help

10. Murrell

Murrell New Member

5 lb. sugar to a gallon of water is very light feeding, normal buildup feeding is 1to1 or, 8 lb. of sugar to a gal. of water. But that is beside the point.
    You say you are in a basicly wooded rural area.
    One garden gets dusted in a 6000 acre radius isn't the answer I don't believe.
    What has your County or State Highway dept. sprayed within 2 miles of your hives ?

Good luck
    Murrell

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It would have to be a VERY large garden. Possibly the forest service spraying trees?

Maybe a disgruntled neighbor poisoning the hives?

There's many possibilities, but I would think a large, monoculture crop.

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Just a thought around here in wet seasons the county will drive down the road spraying pesticide in watering holes along ditches for mosquito larva. and will fog for mosquitos at night. If they locked onto a water hole that had been sprayed that would do it.

13. B.Matt

B.Matt New Member

I guess I'll move the hives as far as I can and try again. Is it ok to use the same frames thay started pulling comb on? Is it to late in the year to try again? Would it be better to wait till spring. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

14. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

As long as you are sure some neighbor didn't spray raid or something similar on the hive feel free to reuse it.

15. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Its getting pretty late to be trying again unless you can buy a nuc or an existing hive. If you really want to findout what happened to the bees. collected up some samples and send them to beltsville. Unless your neighbor sprayed raid directly on them Moving them on your property may not help as bees have been known to forage up to and past a 3 mile radius. If I was in your situation I believe I would talk to all the farmers and land owners around you if your out in the country make them aware to the fact you do have bees. Give them your number and ask them to call 24 hrs in advance to let you know they are spraying insectiside. This will allow you to block the bees in the hive for the day they spray. AS far as reusing comb I would advise sending bees to beltsville first to find try and find out why they died. How often was you having to fill the feeder as stated above 5 lbs to a gallon is a little light. I have hives that can drink that in a day. If the hive had 5 lbs of bees and pulling comb I would say you would be refilling quite often. If not they may have starved to death. If you have bees dead head first in the cells that is a sign of starvation

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

just to explore possible other causes.. what kind of feeder were you using?

17. B.Matt

B.Matt New Member

Just found out two neighbors had there houses sprayed for Hornets and Wasps, Both with in a hundred yards in a line with my hives. They where sprayed around the time I installed the Bees. They said they used a sprayer that shot a ten foot spray. If the wind was right ?

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

It looks like you had a severe case of bad-luck-timing. All those who pointed at insecticide death read the symptoms loud and clear. Don't give up but get your neighbors to cooperate with you by notifying you in advance of any spraying. Covering up the hives and keeping the bees at home for a day can make a world of difference.
    Do you see other honeybees in the neighborhood working the flowers? If you do, it could be a sign that the potential for hives in your location is still practical.

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if the wind was right huh?

once again what kind of feeder where you using for the syrup?

20. B.Matt

B.Matt New Member