Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
Greeting from North Central Connecticut! My name is Mark, and I started beekeeping back in the 1980's with one hive that eventually expanded to 12 hives under the tutelage of two great old time bee keepers. They taught me a lot, and I have many fond memories working with both of them. I even did bee removal jobs with one of them whose name was Emil Pagan a well known beekeeper who lived a few miles from me! After a number of years, I had to give it up since our two daughters came along and it became too much to tend. I sold my bees and equipment to a well known beekeeper from Bristol, CT whose name was Norman Farmer, who has since passed away. He was a big time beekeeper and had hundreds of hives and did pollination as well. A couple years ago I retired from teaching art for 38 years and decided to get back to raising 'my girls' again. I now have 3 hives w/two more additional ones planned for this spring. Looking forward to expanding the apiary, but I'm not going to get to 12 hives again. I can't lift like I used to! Trying to catch up with my reading and remembering. Lots to re-learn, but it's slowly coming back! I'm glad to be here and learn more. I'm looking forward to reading other beekeeper's comments, progress and information.

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
Sadly, Varroa mites have exploded a bit since the 1980s. You might really have a look at the pest section and research varroa and the related viruses. I don't have many here because no other beekeepers close by, and apparently no wild hives, but always something to keep an eye on. And welcome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly, Varroa mites have exploded a bit since the 1980s. You might really have a look at the pest section and research varroa and the related viruses. I don't have many here because no other beekeepers close by, and apparently no wild hives, but always something to keep an eye on. And welcome!
I have been treating for varroa mites. Not aware of any viruses to treat for. Guess I'll have to look that up. Also need to get more info on hive beetles and the best way to trap them. I have the means to treat wax moth as well. Thanks for the information!

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
I have been treating for varroa mites. Not aware of any viruses to treat for. Guess I'll have to look that up. Also need to get more info on hive beetles and the best way to trap them. I have the means to treat wax moth as well. Thanks for the information!
Best way to avoid hive beetles and wax moth are keep your hives in the sun, even in Texas or Florida, and keep your entrance small. Most pests enter thru the front door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts