Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AndyBees, Dec 18, 2011.

1. AndyBees

AndyBees New Member

Hello,

I am from Kentucky. My first interest in bees goes back to the 60s when I was a teenager. However, it was the spring of 1975 when I acquired my first hives. I purchased five stands from an ol' timer.

I kept bees into the late 80s. I had about 15 colonies on a re-claimed strip mined area that was loaded with clover. They had been there for about five years. In April of 1988 I went up to check on them (which I did many times thru the winter months) and they were all gone but one hive. Thieves hauled them away.

So, I stayed away from beekeeping for the next 13 years. Then, in 2001, I purchased three swarms thru Walter T. Kelley. As I understand, they came from Georgia. Anyway, in catching up on beekeeping, I learned about all the diseases of late. I was so surprised to learn what was happening to the bees.

Like most were doing 10 years ago, I began medicating to ward off all those pests, etc. Then in 2005 at a bee meeting, I learned that a few beekeepers were giving up on all the medications to let nature take it's course. Well, that season I did the same thing. That year, 2006 and '07, I lost over half of my stands each season. As the years went by the losses began to be less and less. I did not lose a single stand last winter (8 going in and 8 survived).

Thanks to Paul Turley for pointing me to this web site.

As I told him in conversation in another forum (unrelated to beekeeping), I've not been too involved with my bees for the last couple of years due to personal reasons. I've let them fend for themselves. This past summer at least 7 swarms went into the wild.

So, I hope to get back to my hobby with more attention in 2012.

Andy

2. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome Andy, you came to the right place, hope you have more time for your hobby. :wave:

3. pturley

pturley New Member

Great to see you signed up.

(EDIT)
    I think PerryBee might have hit the nail on the head regarding a lot of the appeal of this board...
    viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5149#p41380

4. jlabaume

jlabaume New Member

Welcome aboard.

Judging from your brief profile, you are a part of what seems to me to be a trend--old (former) beekeepers coming back to beekeeping.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay--there are a lot of good people on this forum with a lot of good information.

jtl

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

welcome aboard Andy and I hope you enjoy this neighborhood.

I myself have come and gone from the bee bizz for the past 50 or so years. a long time ago I began keeping bees just a bit north of your stated location.... along the kanawaha river just a bit south of Point Pleasant W.Va. at the present time my bee keeping is a bit of an 'out of control' retirement project.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Glad you joined. Hope to see lots of posts. Questions, answers, or just chat. It's all welcome.

7. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

[​IMG]

Howdy and welcome Andy :wave: ...Good to have you here,hope you enjoy the forum.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:hi: Hello Andy:

Driven the Alaska Hwy 7 times, did you happen to drive through B.C. (I'm thinking you must have) on your way North? My home province, always wanted to head North and check out the Yukon and further when I was there but never got around to it.
    Welcome again, check out the mini-chat if you get the chance, Iddee likes fresh newcomers to pick on. ;) (actually we all do, but we're nice about it)

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Wecome, we like new blood. :lol: Jack

10. AndyBees

AndyBees New Member

Perry,

Yes, we traveled thru B.C. That province is absolutely awesome. And, on our return we actually travelled down the Cassair Highway on our first trip north in 1986. We've also driven the entire length of the Dempster Hiway in the Yukon........all the way to Inuvik. On the second trip north we went to Yellowknife on the north shore of the Great Slave Lake! That was an awesome side trip to a beautiful region of the North West Territories (which is huge).

The adventures north have been in the same old '83 VW Vanagon. We camped and hit the motels along the way! Lots of fun and beautifu country to see.

As I understand, in the Delta Junction area of Alaska (official end of the Alaska Highway), is a farming region. They grow cucumbers there among other vegetables. Anyway, bees are brought in for pollination. Sadly, there's no effort to save the bees. They exterminate them at the end of the season. Surely they remove the honey.

11. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome Andy! Sorry for the delayed welcome. I have been in Jamaica teaching queen rearing and general beekeeping.

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

7 times in a 83 VW Vanagon? There is a huge chunk of that highway that is still gravel and you did it with the same vehicle? :shock:
    I was raised in the South Okanagan and got as far North as Thompsons Corner just past Ft. St. John.
    I think mile zero on the Alaskan Hwy is in Dawson Creek, B.C.
    Did you check out Hudson's Hope with the Bennett Dam (created Williston Lake, second largest man made lake in N America I believe.) Good fishing there in the winter. The whole lake freezes over except around the intake manifolds near the dam, fish seem to like it there. Cut a hole in the ice and away you go. I've seen guys with 20 holes using cross tip-ups hauling them in like crazy.

Nothing can put things in perspective (how small and insignificant we as humans really are) as a trip way up North!

7 times, you must have liked it a just a little bit. ;)

13. falconer

falconer New Member

14. AndyBees

AndyBees New Member

Hey, thanks for all the welcomes!

Perry, there is so much to see in Canada and Alaska it's difficult to describe. I have read about Williston Lake and looked at it on maps. One could spend a month in BC alone and not begin to see everything! The folks there are truly great and love to hear our southern accent!

Now that we are retired, our hopes and plans will be taking us back to the north country. We also want to visit your neck of the woods! I've read a lot about Novia Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

This is very interesting ...........go to vPike.com. Type in a location and click on Steet. Google mapping will drop you right in the middle of the area. Move the little man on a blue road and look at the scenery! You can take a trip right on your PC screen almost anywhere in the world! Type in Tok, Alaska and do a 360 degree view! Type in your home town and skip hop around and see the community! Most of the mapping is about 2 years old.....but exciting!

15. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Welcome to the board. And let me add "thanks given" to your post. Great to see a new person add to the forum.