New Members List

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by ApisBees, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The last few days when I click on some new members to view their profile i get this. Some profiles show and others i get this message. Whats up? they use to all show.
    [​IMG] Image1.jpg

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I've seen that as well Keith.
    The whole new members list is a bit of a problem. Most new members may not even be real, and even those that are, put in almost nothing as far as location or virtually anything under the "about me" section. I have come to expect to wait until they at least post something before deciding their value.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You are clicking on their name between sign-up and acceptance. Until the forum accepts their application, you will get that window. There are usually 2 to 5 new spammers sign on daily, and I delete their account as soon as I sign on. Once they have been on for a few hours, you should be able to see their profile. Austin has started allowing sign-up from some hand held devices with an app that will not require them to put a location in. He is supposed to be trying to fix that, but so far it hasn't happened.

Also, testingbee ans, I THINK, cncgoatys, are forum programmers working on the forum. They can leave out any info they choose.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Thanks Iddee that explains it.

5. BKF

BKF Administrator Staff Member

No, Austin is not a mobile programmer. I have to wait for a mobile programmer to pick up the issue.

I'm looking for other solutions, but the location is not on the path to being corrected yet. I wish it was.

We have instituted a couple of other things in the mean time to get them to update location.

6. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Today, 08.55 GMT ----- NINE new members with today's date in the stats. Will someone's delete button be working hard ? I will look again.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If I ban them, they cannot come back. If I delete them, it opens them for rejoining. I am waiting a day between ban and delete, hopefully slowing their return.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Maybe the inclusion of some minimal "personal information" should be required when registering. Yeah, I know people can fabricate, but maybe something, like location should be obligatory---then those administrators who know how to do it, could check on the URL and see if things match up?

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

We have that. They make up a location. All the names you see are banned, but if I delete them it kills the ban and they just sign up again. That is why I quit deleting them. As long as their name is still banned, they cannot re-sign without changing their name, email, and IP address.

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I didn't understand your explanation in post #7. From post #9 the answer is clear as day. Thanks Iddee.:grin:

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i wonder if we could add a list that says RECENT SPAMMERS...........:lol:

(ps iddee, just kidding :grin:)

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Not enough bandwidth, Riverbee :D

13. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

And they don't deserve the extra recognition.

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

apis, the idiot spammers don't deserve the recognition.....BUT, the dang spammers signing up here take up most of or all of the new member's list, so any legit members go unnoticed.....so what we are seeing in the "new members" list is nothing but spammers.....not new members.......well, they sorta are/were for a very short period of time but were boinked......:lol: (spammers) did i spell boink right? ......
    did i make sense?..........just had to tease iddee, and the list of 'recent spammers' would be extremely long. :grin:

15. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I am frustrated by the current state of the new members list. There seem to be a lot of new members with European locations. This is not the usual frequency. I wish the genuine beekeepers amongst them would make an introduction post. With winter starting it can be a little lonely on this side of the pond. :sad: