New package of bees absconded without queen

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Kylesfishin, May 10, 2018.

1. Kylesfishin

Kylesfishin New Member

Last Saturday I installed a package of bees with caged queen into my new hive. Painted 2 weeks ago and wood frames with wax foundation. On Sunday the bees absconded and swarmed into a tree nearby. Before I could get them back they took off. They left the queen in the cage and had built out some comb already.

A local beekeeper friend of mine thinks there was an extra queen in the package.

This friend also just gave me a few frames of brood, honey, and pollen to try to save my hive and queen on Monday.

I inspected the hive yesterday and they almost have the caged queen out of the cage, but I also noticed a capped queen cell on one of the frames my friend gave me. Should I remove this? Will the new queen cause my hive to swarm or kill the current queen?

Thanks!

2. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

I inspected the hive yesterday and they almost have the caged queen out of the cage, but I also noticed a capped queen cell on one of the frames my friend gave me. Should I remove this? Will the new queen cause my hive to swarm or kill the current queen?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I would remove it unless you want to split off another hive. You could put that frame with the nurse bees on it in a nuc with a feeder and you will have another laying queen in about 3 weeks. It is always a good idea to have a nuc or two around with queens just for emergencies.

If your purchased queen is deemed unsuitable by the new bees you will have the new one to reintroduce to them.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds good.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  4. Kylesfishin

Kylesfishin New Member