New packages

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by jwsbees, Apr 23, 2015.

1. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Well it seems that my packages might be showing up today. Now my focus is back on bees rather than getting them. So here's the question... I will be using mediums for everything. Should I put a 3 lb package in one or two mediums? It is going down to 38 deg F here tonight. (Zone 7, Virginia). Thanks!

2. camero7

camero7 Member

One medium and wait until they build up before adding the next one.

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Agree. One is plenty.

4. Ray

Ray Member

One medium is all they need. Brood and comb require heat and an extra box is that much more space to heat. Don't forget to feed, feed,feed. Good Luck.

5. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Thanks, one box seems to have done nicely. I checked the queen yesterday and she was still in the cage. (48 hrs.) Looks like they are working on getting her out. I'm thinking just leave them alone till tomorrow. It was a bit rainy so I didn't fool with them much. Tomorrow should be much nicer.

6. camero7

camero7 Member

Don't fool with them until the queen is released and laying. Play with them before the queen is laying and you risk absconding or balling the queen. I'd just check to see if she's release, pull the cage and wait at least 10 days before checking. Be sure to keep feeding them.

7. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

OK, the queen was out of her cage on Monday. Everything looks like it's going the way it's supposed to. Traffic at the entrance is good and the food is going down. (Top feeder) I have resisted going into the hive, maybe Saturday or Sunday. The ants are a real drag, the feeder is full of them. Oh got a question too... I sneaked a peek at the drawer under the screened bottom board, lots of debris. Looks like wax flakes? There is no foundation in the frames.[​IMG]

8. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Cinnamon is frequently used as an ant repellant. The bees don't seem to mind it.